4 Replies - 717 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Help with wording my resignation... I'm bad at this.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

This is what I have so far, but it is awful. I was hoping that someone better versed in communicating with other humans might be able to help me make this better:

I am unsure if this has been explained to you by my agency yet or not, but I wanted the opportunity to let you know myself.

My contract here expires on March 25th, I have chosen to not renew it. This is not because of the work or people here, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and the project I have been tasked with has, at times, been an entertaining challenge.

I appreciate the time and opportunities that you and Caterpillar have given my to help in furthering my career, however I have chosen to return to England and will be unable to continue working here as a result of this decision to leave the country.

I have decided to give you this notice well in advance of the date I will be leaving so as to give ample opportunity to tailor the work you require of me and to give time for me to help in training any replacement you find for my position here.

I apologize for any and all inconveniences this may cause and hope that we can work together to help the transition for a replacement to be as smooth as possible.

Aria Curtis
Software Engineer

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help with wording my resignation... I'm bad at this.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help with wording my resignation... I'm bad at this.

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

With my contract coming due on March 25th I want to express how much I have enjoyed the time spent here, but I will not be renewing it further. I have chosen to return home to England to follow a new path across the pond.

I appreciate the opportunities you, and Caterpillar, have given me, as well as the entertaining challenges.

Hopefully this advance notice will give us both ample time for knowledge transfer and maximizing my remaining time.

Thank you,

Aria

So Cat, eh? You wouldn't be in charge of dolling out the hellish CDs of inventory pricing and what not? If so I do not apologize for cursing your process and files.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

Nah, I am building the systems which are allowing them to lay so many people off right now though... :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:36 AM

Hmm.. well okay. Slightly better than who I was cursing at for those files.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. This is a pretty functional piece of writing, and it will serve its purpose as written. (that is, they'll know that you're leaving and when and that you're not raising any HR ruckus on the way out)

However, I can dust off my old tech writer chops if you want some comments on the specifics of your draft.

I am unsure if this has been explained to you by my agency yet or not, but I wanted the opportunity to let you know myself.

This is a good example of over-writing. Read it aloud. Then say what you mean, and write that down. Then delete this sentence, because it doesn't do anything for you, but it's good practice to rewrite it before you delete it.

My contract here expires on March 25th, I have chosen to not renew it.

"My contract here expires on March 25th, and for personal reasons I have chosen to not renew it." or
"My contract here expires on March 25th, and I have chosen to not renew it in order to return to England."

This is not because of the work or people here, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and working on the NAME OF PROJECT project I have been tasked with has, at times, been an entertaining challenge enjoyable and challenging.

Every company has code names for their projects, use that. If no code name exists, try "...and my work here has been enjoyable and challenging." And keep it sweet - if there's nothing to complain about, just say nice things.

I appreciate the time and opportunities that you and [COMPANY NAME] have given me to help in furthering my career, however I have chosen to return to England and will be unable to continue working here as a result of this decision to leave the country.

(If you've said the England part at the outset)

I have decided to give you this notice well in advance of the date I will be leaving so as to give ample opportunity to tailor the work you require of me and to give time for me to help in training any replacement you find for my position here.

You can just lose this sentence.

I apologize for any and all inconveniences this may cause and hope that we can work together to help the transition for a replacement to be as smooth as possible.

Don't apologize - you're allowed to leave. And if they want you to help with transition, they'll let you know. Some companies will ask you to document processes, some companies will prefer to have permanent staff do that. Make the offer in person, for sure, but don't bother putting it in this note.

If this is addressed to someone that you have had friendly interactions with, include a personal note - "it's been a pleasure working with you", something simple like that. But really, that's all you need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1