6 Replies - 2119 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Please Review My Tutorial Website

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

I would like for you to review my tutorial website that I recently created.

The tutorial on Visual Basic.NET aimed for beginners. A quick note is that I designed the website for modern browsers that support CSS3 and the flex box control. My main concern is the quality of the lessons.

http://vbtutorial.byethost32.com

This post has been edited by dday9: 19 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please Review My Tutorial Website

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please Review My Tutorial Website

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Website looks cool.

However i had a look at a random tutorial and i ended up looking at Option Strict one.

Typing Option Strict at the top of each class in every project you do is not simplier than going tools --> Options --> Project and Solutions --> VB Defaults and switching Option to strict here to true.

If you didn't know this will make every project you create in the future come with option strict turned on. alot more convenient and easier to do that writing option strict on every class file.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

View Postmaceysoftware, on 20 February 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Website looks cool.

However i had a look at a random tutorial and i ended up looking at Option Strict one.

Typing Option Strict at the top of each class in every project you do is not simplier than going tools --> Options --> Project and Solutions --> VB Defaults and switching Option to strict here to true.

If you didn't know this will make every project you create in the future come with option strict turned on. alot more convenient and easier to do that writing option strict on every class file.

Yep, this is what I did with my version of VS but I wanted to try not and tailor the website to VS specific but to make it generic enough so that people using a different IDE or an online compiler can follow. But I will take out the word simplest and just say something to the effect of "one way to…"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:16 AM

Looks nice.
It's got an appealing layout.
I like your approach of starting with simpler constructs and moving towards complex ones.

In another thread you spoke about techniques that your friend wasn't being taught at university. Have you included these in your tutorials?

Something that beginners need is a sense of how to put it all together. Taking your loops chapter as an example, your readers have already covered variables, logic and collections but the loop examples show only enough to explain the mechanics of looping. Here they can see the index increase as the loop goes round. A simple application of this loop (like adding up all the numbers between 1 and 10) is a leap that many beginners will not be able to make on their own.

Option Strict On
Imports System
Module Module1
    Sub Main()
        'Loop from 1 - 10
        For index As Integer = 1 To 10
            Console.WriteLine(index)
        Next
    End Sub
End Module

I suggest adding some more examples and explanations. Adding things up, finding averages, guessing games, printing patterns, input validation, etc. are all commonly used in tutorials. You could draw from other domains and do numerical sequences, physics simulations, financial projections or whatever else takes your fancy. I suggest starting with simple examples and gradually increasing the complexity. This kind of thing makes the difference between a language reference and a learning resource.

Equally important are exercise questions (ideally with sample solutions). Provide lots. I suggest several easy ones covering just the basics of the chapter, a few that incorporate the material form previous chapters and one or two that require serious thought. Maybe something like this:

1. Write for loops to print out the numbers.
(Do all these questions. Write a new program for each. Don't be tempted to modify your previous answer.)
a) 1-10
B) 3-5
c) 100-112
d) 7-15
e) -10 to 10
f) even numbers up to 20
g) odd numbers up to 20
h) 10-1
h) the 17 times table up to 170
i) the 17 times table backwards from 170

2. Use a for loop to accomplish the following. Print the answer out at the end.
(These require more thought and use material from previous chapters.)
a) Add the sequence 1-10, storing the result in a variable.
B) Add up the numbers in the following array [1,2,3,10,20,30]
c) Write a program to check if all the numbers in an array are positive. Print an error message displaying the negative numbers. (test data: [6,3,10,8] and [3,8,-2,2,-9]
d) Write a program that asks the user for a password. If they get it correct, display a welcome message but if they get it wrong three times then display a message letting them know they are locked out.
e) Write a program to print out the numbers 1-100. Multiples of 3 are replaced with Fizz. Multiples of 5 are replaced with Buzz and multiples of 3 and 5 are replaced with Fizz Buzz.

3. Prime numbers
(This is a challenge problem. Don't be discouraged if it is too difficult. It's not required to continue working through the following chapters. However, if you choose not to tackle it now, come back later and try it).
a) Write a program that asks the user for a number and then displays whether it is a prime number or not.
B) Modify the above program to display all the prime numbers up to 100. How high can you put the limit before things start to slow down?
c) Bonus question: Research techniques that will let you raise the limit and test them out by writing programs.

4. Write a program that lets the user play a game of Tic Tac Toe.
(This is a bigger project. You will need to use everything you have learned so far. It's not required to continue working through the following chapters. However, if you complete this challenge then you will be showing mastery over the language basics and will have something to show off.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

Adding things up, finding averages, guessing games, printing patterns, input validation, etc. are all commonly used in tutorials.

I know that I teach some of the arithmetic in my LINQ lesson and input validation in the Do Loop lesson.

Equally important are exercise questions (ideally with sample solutions). Provide lots. I suggest several easy ones covering just the basics of the chapter, a few that incorporate the material form previous chapters and one or two that require serious thought. Maybe something like this:

I absolutely want to include an example page. Right now I have Home | Lessons | About, I want to extend that to Home | Lessons | Exercises | About. My fear is I do not want to provide exercises that become too difficult for a beginner to do because I am just assuming that they should piece together how to do the exercise, but I am taking a lot of time trying to think of various exercises to include and your examples will certainly help me.

Something else that I was pointed out to me that I do not know if y'all caught or not but I forgot to include a <title> tag. I will be sure to fix that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

Your website is looking clean and simple. However, under Lesson when I click on a particular topic and display its lesson, it would be better to place a sidebar on the side displaying all the topics so that I wouldn't clicking always the back button or clicking again the lesson tab.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostPreciousReed, on 10 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

Your website is looking clean and simple. However, under Lesson when I click on a particular topic and display its lesson, it would be better to place a sidebar on the side displaying all the topics so that I wouldn't clicking always the back button or clicking again the lesson tab.

I have added a <footer> at the bottom of each lesson that allows you to navigate back and forth between lessons via <input> buttons. You may have to refresh the cache to see it if you've been to the website prior to me adding the <footer>, which was maybe late last week.

Do you think that even with the <footer> that you'd like to see a side bar with all the lessons or do you think that it will be overkill?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1