8 Replies - 1382 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Moving my career from php to Java, which frameworks should I learn?

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

I am currently working for a small company as a web developer. I landed this job about two months after I got my degree, about a year and a half ago. Before working here I had very limited experience with web development, I had only taken one class that covered HTML CSS and very little javascript, with no intro to php. However, I have learned and became very very comfortable using these languages. I have worked with a team to develop eCommerce websites, and multimedia website and a social networking site, and I created the instant chat client for that website using node.js and socket.io. That chat client is the project that makes me most proud. I also developed a Roku app that uses the same media as our multimedia site, it has 20k users, custom made UI with 4.5/5 star rating. I have experience with C# and Java from doing projects for college.

I also started learning Swift and objective-c the last 2 months because I was developing a app for my company to be placed on the new Apple Tv. However, now the company is talking about closing, and I haven't had a project to work on for work, so I have had 8 hours free to work on what I want 5 days a week for the past week now.

I will have to move towns because there isn't anything in development where I currently live, it was a huge surprise whenever I even landed this job, but to get back to my question. I am thinking about moving back to the ATL area and trying to get a job as a java developer. I haven't used java for web development at all, and my career goal has been to become a software developer and not a web developer. I have been trying to become very familiar with Java again, however, I have never used a framework. I know I will need to be familiar with these frameworks as well to land a job. I have been working on exercises I found on these boards that another user posted (I don't remember the user that posted the list, but thank you).

My point is that I have always had to ability to pick up things quickly, it has always been a gift of mine. I have a month before the company closes, and I am wondering how my chances will be on getting a Java job even though I have been working in the web development field for the last year.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moving my career from php to Java, which frameworks should I learn?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Moving my career from php to Java, which frameworks should I learn?

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

I am wondering how my chances will be on getting a Java job even though I have been working in the web development field for the last year.

That depends on if you have demonstrable knowledge of java and how well you spin your year and a half of actual-paycheck job experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

Java is a great language, don't get me wrong. But I think you'll end up restricting opportunities if you only look for Java jobs. As you've seen at your current place of employment, you'll need to pick up multiple languages to get the job done and the skills you've learned from Java and C# transfer to other languages quite well. I would encourage you to look for general software development jobs and try to find a good company that values you. At the end of the day, you'll be a lot happier than if you pick a job for a language.

Android is a good platform to learn. If you apply for data science jobs, I'd look at frameworks like Hadoop.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 March 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

...the skills you've learned from Java and C# transfer to other languages quite well...Android is a good platform to learn. If you apply for data science jobs, I'd look at frameworks like Hadoop.

I have been thinking the skills would transfer to other languages quite well. Actually, I have experienced how well the skills transfer whenever I was building the Apple Tv App using swift. I have noticed that picking up a new programming language isn't as hard as it used to be, as a lot of the concepts are the same with OOP, just the syntax changes. Objects still looks and act the same, you just use different words to get the result you need.

I have started looking into Hadoop and Spring, I also want to look into hibernate. I would enjoy Android development job, I have worked with it some and it uses Java, plus it would be like blending my goal of software development and my newly acquired skills in web development.

What skills do good android developers need, other than Java, of course, and understanding SQL or MySQL(databases).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

API/REST.. the cloud.. UI patterns.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 March 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

API/REST.. the cloud.. UI patterns.

That's good news, I have no problem using API's or REST or even SOAP for that matter. That UI patterns I will need to work on, I have never been strong with creating a unique and creative UI that looks cutting edge, but I do well with making the product function very well lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

If you're a web programmer now, look for web jobs. See what people are using, and get familiar with the most popular stuff. Around here it's going to be django and rails, with node coming up fast on the inside. Where you are, it might be different. If there are a lot of people hiring for Java in your neck of the woods, then go for it. If not, look at something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Some skills every Java developer should have:
- REST
- Unit testing
- Inversion of Control / Dependency injection. Dagger as a DI framework for Android
- Gradle / Maven

If you start doing Android development, then there are of course many Android specific topics you need to read up one. One of them being app lifecycle.
As an Android user, I find it difficult to develop apps for iOS, because I'm not always sure of the iOS way of doing things. Like, what controls are usually used in this particular use case. What flow is typical for iOS? You would probably run into the same questions if you're not familiar with Android.
Hopefully you have others to deal with UX ;)

If you're looking to get into web development in Java, then look into Spring boot. It's the hottest at the moment haha

Oh I see macosxnerd101 mentioned Hadoop. Then I would also like to mention Cassandra, docker, and datastax ;) I find Cassandra very interesting
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

prob java
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1