3 Replies - 665 Views - Last Post: 24 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

How to let another a company know that you have another job offer?

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

Okay here is my situation:

Company A and B are both start ups in LA.

Company B has offered me an actual position as a entry level SE with a decent salary starting out $50,000 and some benefits (don't know the specific benefits yet).

Company A (the one that I am leaning towards more) just finished interviewing me the other day for a software dev internship position and I feel pretty confident that they liked me. I do not know the exact pay or the benefits but I am guessing around the ballpark of $14-24 an hour for the intern position.

I want to work for Company A, but I do not know if they are for sure going to hire me, although they have a couple of openings for that position. Although the starting pay for A is less, I think I can grow more and faster with that company, plus they have free food :D/>. In all seriousness, B will be calling me today to discuss the offer one more time. How can I tell them that I have possible offer, A, that I am waiting for without losing my (almost for sure) offer for B? I am not 100% sure when I will hear back from A, but I am guessing by next week.

Additionally, how can I let A know that B has given me an offer, perhaps so they can speed up their decision? Should I even do that at all?

I would not mind working for either companies since both seem pretty interesting, but from what I have read and heard, I can grow more in A than in B, which is the deal breaker for me.

This post has been edited by streek405: 17 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to let another a company know that you have another job offer?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to let another a company know that you have another job offer?

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

I would follow up with A to see when they'll have a decision, and tell B that you'll have a day or two to think about it and will get back to them...

If A takes longer than that day or two then make your choice of holding out for A or go with B. You may end up with A, with B, or with neither. Something something about can't always have your cake and eat it too.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

It may be too late, but if B won't wait any longer, this isn't that hard. You just tell A.

Reach out to whomever your contact is at A, and say something like:
"I had a great time interviewing and am very excited for the opportunity to come work with you. I have another offer that is due by X, and would rather have as much information as possible when making a decision on that offer."

If they want you, they may speed it up. Or they may not. Facebook was pretty heel-draggy on getting me out to an interview when I had another offer (which I eventually took).
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

View Postxclite, on 18 March 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

"I had a great time interviewing and am very excited for the opportunity to come work with you. I have another offer that is due by X, and would rather have as much information as possible when making a decision on that offer."

Concise and polite. Very nice. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1