6 Replies - 8029 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

GetURL Problem in Firefox

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

I recently started learning Flash, and I'm using Flash 8. I'm making a flash-based Myspace profile, and I need help using the GetURL function for some of my buttons.

There's a test page of what I'm working on here:
http://www.myspace.com/mikerowsoft

If you notice on the left-hand side, there are four buttons that say
"message me"
"add me"
"my pictures"
"rate profile"

These are buttons that have actions applied to them to open the links assigned to them.
on (release) {
	getURL("http://collect.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=invite.addfriend_verify&friendID=23222946","_self");	
}

The above snippet is th action assigned to the buttons. Now using Internet Explorer 6 they work just fine. (There may be a problem with IE7, but I'm not sure.) And in Firefox 2 they fail to open at all.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GetURL Problem in Firefox

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GetURL Problem in Firefox

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

I found this tutorial on how to make the function work with Firefox. It is not working, because Flash changes the semi-colon into a "|" character which then forces FireFox to think its a new tab. Here is the link:

http://www.actionscr...S-30/Page1.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

I've never had that problem with getUrl in Firefox. I've passed both string literals and string variables without a problem.

It's probably happening as a result of MySpace's restrictions on cross-domain scripting of Flash. From what I've read, they add a few parameters to the embed tag. They also prevent Javascript from being included in the page, which would prevent users from changing the created tags.

They have done this for security reasons. And out of respect to fellow developers, I will not share an explanation of how to bypass those security measures. With some Javascript and Flash knowledge though, it can be done. So start studying young grasshopper. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

Aww, c'mon, fill me in! :D

I'm going to try a couple things and see what happens. Thanks for your responses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

Myspace actually doesn't allow <embed> tags they change it to <object> tags. And there's a few problems with that... One being, why does it work in IE then?

I took the very same html code that is in my myspace page, and uploaded it to an html file on my server and it still doesn't work in Firefox, so I don't think it's a Myspace problem. It's not just my browser because several people have told me it doesn't work for them either.

Here's the code that displays the flash:

<center><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="internal" height="1000" width="700" style="visibility:visible; display:inline; z-index:6; position:relative; left:0px; right:0px; top:0px; margin-left:0px; background-color:transparent;" data="http://www.radercrockett.net/myspace/bullet/index4.swf">
  <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">
  <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal>
  <param name="movie" value="http://www.radercrockett.net/myspace/bullet/index4.swf">
  <param name="menu" value="false">
  <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
</object></center></div><style type="text/css">body {background:url(http://www.radercrockett.net/myspace/bullet/background.gif) repeat-y center;}</style>

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, I couldn't remember which one it is, but you're correct; they allow the object tag, rather than embed.

The allowNetworking parameter needs to be set to "all". With that change, it worked fine on one of my servers. It's not going to work in MySpace though, because their system will change that back to "internal". Speaking of which, it wouldn't hurt to put another quotation mark around that property. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

View PostRCrockett, on 8 Dec, 2007 - 12:01 AM, said:

Aww, c'mon, fill me in! :D

Alright .. Just don't be sharing this information with too many people; I don't need MySpace coming after me.

From within Flash, do the following:
- Open the Flash movie you have created.
- Open the Publish Settings (accessible via the File menu)
- Select the Formats tab
- Ensure that "Flash" and "HTML" are both checked
- Select the Flash tab
- Set the Version to "Flash Player 9", and ensure that "Permit Debugging" and "Optimize for Flash Player 6 r65" are checked (important).
- Set Local playback security to "Access Network Only" (also important)
- Select the HTML tab
- Set the template to "Flash with Named Anchors" (also important)
- Set your hopes back down, because this isn't actually going to do anything.
- Click the Publish button
- Save your file
- Close Flash

:D

This post has been edited by DilutedImage: 08 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1