4 Replies - 835 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Should Web Developer get paid for searching information?

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:29 AM

I needed to change the appearance of one of the WordPress themes. It is a fancy, non-free theme with hooks and etc. Client agreed with hour wage and I started to work. I included the time it took to look for information on the internet about theme, how should I correctly make changes, how it is made and etc.(because I thought it is OK, cause I did that not for my own project or something like that) and client was very dissapointed about that. He thinks that I should only be paid for writing the code and If I don't know something, it is my problem to learn that stuff.

Can someone write their opinion about whether I should include time, searching information in my working hours?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should Web Developer get paid for searching information?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should Web Developer get paid for searching information?

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:32 AM

R&D most definitely be paid..unless you wrote the theme how soul you know how it operates and functions? Discovery is measurable and pay worthy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

Did you give an estimate beforehand? Reasearch is a big part of development, but clients always have an issue paying for something that isn't tangible, I've had clients that didn't want to pay for backend work, because the site looked the same, but worked faster, because they couldn't see a difference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

You work that's how see it. You should get paid. Make sure it stated in your contract. However, because you don't make it on your own, maybe it's a lesser payout.

However, ensure that all your client's website requirement is meet so that you have a strong reason to get it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

I don't charge a client for design work, as graphics & layout are not my area. Instead, this part of the site/project rollout is covered in 'turnover' & I show the client how to choose & install their own theme. It may seem trivial, but for me this is part of setting a preciseness. Not only did I not make this theme, but I additionally won't support it. Let the client make their own theme selection since "looks" are preference.

Also, this isn't a web development question, moving to FreeLancing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1