5 Replies - 618 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Firmware update failure, device bricked.

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:35 AM

Hey all,

I've got a question regarding a failed firmware update with a bricked device as a result. My navigation module prompted for its firmware to be update and I proceeded, but at some point the program crashed in the middle of the firmware update.

Now it's not recognized anymore on any computer and also doesn't boot anymore. You basically can't access it anymore. Factory Reset also does not result to anything.

The device is still under warranty. I've raised the problem at the shop and they want to test the module to see what happened and if it will be covered under warranty.

My question is, are they actually able to retreive a log or similar to confirm a faulty firmware update is the cause when the module is completely inaccessable? And is the faulty firmware reversable for them if the device can't be accessed via USB?

The why: There is a possiblity that they will charge me some costs if they are able to put the blame on a faulty firmware update. If they can't and simply 'reinstall' the module, it is covered under warranty.

So the main question is: Can they prove that a faulty firmware update is the cause, because it is somewhere stored in a log on the bricked device?

Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Firmware update failure, device bricked.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Firmware update failure, device bricked.

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

If they can get into the device then yes i would imagine that there would be logs to say that it was in the middle of a firmware update. maybe not to the extent that it was the update that caused the bricking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

Any logs would be stored on secondary storage, that would need to be removed from the non-functional system to be reviewed. It may not be worth their time to review to the level of tampering, but I don't know their idea of value. Additionally, if this is a known failure, they may already have a procedure for replacement of hardware.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the very fast replies!

Well it is not accessable via the traditional USB way. If you google on the internet, people with the same problem are always able to still access it and restore via backup. But this module doesn't do anything. On one computer I had the message that the device I connected is not functioning properly. This was one out of five computers I connected it. The other four simply didn't even give any feedback that it was connected.

Also when the module is put back in the car, it does not even recognize it or start to boot. So also there it's not recognized.

I'm just afraid that they will blame it on human error, eventhough the moment I plugged it into my computer the firmware message popped up and I clicked 'Ok'. I prefer them not to find any logs then and just reinstall the module, IF even possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:49 AM

Flashing firmware without a dual bios always has the risk of bricking the system if interrupted. If you used their software, & the device has not been previously flashed with custom firmware, & the device has not been opened, then I see no reason to worry, & no reason why they wouldn't uphold & honor their warranty.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 29 March 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Flashing firmware without a dual bios always has the risk of bricking the system if interrupted. If you used their software, & the device has not been previously flashed with custom firmware, & the device has not been opened, then I see no reason to worry, & no reason why they wouldn't uphold & honor their warranty.

Alright, thanks. Guess we'll wait and see then. Hope they can recover it somehow, I don't want to drive them into costs as well, but they seemed pretty serious about the matter in a way that it felt they would investigate towards my own fault.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1