10 Replies - 1291 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Help with pricing a website.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hey! God it's been a very long time.

I've just recently been offered to build a site after being out of the business for a long while. I live in the U.S. and my customer is basically a couple guys that have limited funds (so I don't want to overprice but I definitely don't want to under price either). One is funding the site and the other the Advertisements.

I'm using an example of cars and leases
Basically what they want is a site that the user can input their lease and then get results from 4 major dealers listing leasing plans that are comparible and cars:

First Page

Welcome Page with a Mission Statement at the top. The statement just details what we do, the problem we solve, and how easy it is in a few sentences.

Below the Mission Statement begins the content. The content will consist of five questions with Drop down boxes associated with each question.

Using an example of cars:
How Many cars do you have (Options 1-10)
How Much gas do you use
What Kind of cars would you like to lease (Options of Several Different cars Newest to Oldest)
How Much are you currently paying Before Tax
Who is your current leasing dealer

And then a Submit Button.

Splash Page after hitting submit

The back end code should compile our data that they've provided the price results for the exact cars and options they selected.
The Pricing of the lease should be separate
The lease costs will be listed with any promotions that each dealer currently has.
And a Full Amount before tax will be displayed.

Result Page
The results for the prices should be from left to right starting with the least expensive and ranging to the most expensive.

After that they can click on each of the offers and have another Page that Displays the lease + car and Promotions they can print out and take into a dealer, similar to a Truecar quote.

So basically 3 pages and the database build with all the other coding that makes this work. I'm not worried about the coding or the database build too much as I've done this a few times. I know there's going to be some tricky calculations.

I SUCK SO BAD at pricing. I feel bad for people and hate to hit them with too big a number. One of the main reasons I got out of building sites was because I had SUCH a hard time and usually I ended up being way low on price. I was hoping someone could give me a little help with what a design like this would go for. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated! Thank you guys so much! It's great to be back! :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help with pricing a website.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help with pricing a website.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

Well, hells bells. It really is alumni month.

Damn.

Welcome back!

I SUCK SO BAD at pricing.

My starting point - figure out what your total hours may be on the project. Figure out what your current hourly rate is at your day job. Hit one with the other and see where that sits. Tweak up or down as needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

Modi! Did I come back during Alumni month? Lol! I knew something was drawing me back!

Shew, I think I could do this in a week. I've been out of it so long so hopefully that is generous. God I hate trying to price things like this. I did SO much better with a company programming. Lol! Course they made all the money!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Oh yeah.. KYA, codeprada, sixofeleven, lordofduct, and now you.
here

For me it's always a trick on the hours. How many I feel I can wedge in a week after my day job, weekend, trickiness of work, etc. I typically have a good feeling on time management though. Also don't forget a bit of time for implementation, testing, and any followup Q&A.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

Do a base 40. Will it take 40 hours to finish? That times what you think your time is worth. My average basic sites run 40 hours, this gives me leeway in the estimate if things don't go as expected, like setup. If it gets more complicated, take the experience I have in that area and compute how long I would expect it to take and add that to the total.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Alright Modi, I hate to do this but if you were presented a project like this, what would you guess your time would be? Round about? What about your hourly wage for it? Just to give me a starting point, I've seriously not designed anything like this in about 4 years.

No2Pencil! Maco! Still here :)/> Awesome!

This post has been edited by absynthe: 05 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

Oh that's getting into some danger zone territory. I have an idea where I may be at, but let's take a swing and pad for a bit of aged time in not doing a webpage..

A few issues with this. the data for the dealers.. is that stored in a database that is updated by someone, or pulled from a dealership API, etc? That's probably a basic management page that needs a log-in, edit data, insert data, etc.

The first page - seems fairly basic. How long would it take to knock out a page theme and a form? Two or three hours if you haven't done one in some years?
The splash page seems.. superfluous I would question needing it.
The results page - again.. using the design from the first it is formatting data and having a 'print' cleaned up option. Soo.. three hours..

The difficult part will be the database end and server side which matches the user info and spits out what ever is needed. Hopefully they can get that to you in a timely fashion (with out flip flopping on functionality) so about five hours..

Then the big unknown on how the data gets into the database.. another five hours..

3+3+5+5 puts you at about 16.. I figure chuck a bit of swag hours in there for testing, user acceptance, questions, etc.. Round that to an even 20? Do you feel confident on knocking this out in 20 hours?

Really nothing complex here. HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, and mysql.

*shrug* you should be able to gauge your comfort level in knocking out a web design. I would imagine nothing too complex.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

Twenty hours, it's been awhile so I'd say 25 to be safe. Someone will be manually updating the database. Nothing will be pulled in as of yet. Thank you my friend. That gives me some idea to start with. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

No problem. Hopefully that gets you in a comfortable range for them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:36 AM

It does :) Thanks again! I'll be back around I'm sure getting some help with this. I'd taken a very long break from coding, bought a camper and traveled for a couple years. It was a blast!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Since the questions are about charging for the project, it really should be in freelancing. Moved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1