9 Replies - 1270 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2016 - 12:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best way to learn?

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

I've been trying to learn or about 2 weeks and I havent gotten anywhere. I learned most of the basics, but I still dont know how to use most functions an methods... Whats the best way to learn?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best way to learn?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best way to learn?

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

Start applying what you have learned. Pick something off the project lists and work through it!

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostGrimzyy, on 10 April 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

I learned most of the basics

How are you going about this? I'm curious about what basics you've learned in about two weeks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostGrimzyy, on 11 April 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

but I still dont know how to use most functions an methods...

What do you mean by this? Are you asking about things that are built in, like range() and list's append() method for example? If so, you'll want to familiarise yourself with the standard library documentation. Use the links for "Library Reference" for your version of Python on the documentation page of the Python website.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 10 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2016 - 03:56 AM

The best way to learn "the basics", which includes functions and methods, is to read a book from cover to cover, or complete some online tutorials. "Learn Python the Hard Way" is a good start. (I don't know what you've been doing other than this.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

View Postndc85430, on 10 April 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

View PostGrimzyy, on 11 April 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

but I still dont know how to use most functions an methods...

What do you mean by this? Are you asking about things that are built in, like range() and list's append() method for example? If so, you'll want to familiarise yourself with the standard library documentation. Use the links for "Library Reference" for your version of Python on the documentation page of the Python website.

What I mean is, I learned thinks like loops, if statement etc

View Postandrewsw, on 11 April 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

The best way to learn "the basics", which includes functions and methods, is to read a book from cover to cover, or complete some online tutorials. "Learn Python the Hard Way" is a good start. (I don't know what you've been doing other than this.)

Udemy...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

I've started learning Python as well not long ago, I'm not sure how you grasp stuff but here is what I do and it seems to work well(for now)
Reading a book which can be found here : Halterman Python Book
and also moving on the same pace with an application "Learn Python" made by SoloLearn on adroid market, so basically you get to repeat everything and see sometimes different approaches and stuff that is not in 1 book but in another.
And of course try everything you learn on the go while reading, the application will constantly throw some examples, tips, explanations and excercises so you can do it outside PC environment if you are on the go.

I guess you could mix in another book 'Learn Python the hard way' would give you an idea of differences between versions of Python since this book if I recall correctly teaches version 2.7.

Again it depends on how you prefer to learn. This works for me maybe it will for you as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

I'm pretty new to Python myself, I have been learning for a couple of months now and probably manage about 10 hours per week of learning and coding. I've managed to grasp quite a bit in that time (I'm still not really any good, but I have a hang of functions, classes, loops, lists and so on).

A few resources that I have used are Codecademy - some people hate this but I personally have found it a good way to learn. I always keep my text editor open whilst I'm working through the Codecademy course and try to apply what I have learned in the last lesson or section, not moving on until I feel comfortable with what I've learned and allowed it time to sink in. I found that trying to learn too much, too quickly didn't work too well for me and when I slowed down and took this approach I retained a lot more information.

I also read the online version of 'Learn Python the hard way' as someone else has suggested and I've found it to be a good resource. As well as that I've learned (learnt? idk) a lot by following this tutorial series on YouTube. He explains things in a way that I just get. What's worked well for me is watching the video all the way through, going to my text editor and seeing what I can do based on the last video. I will then watch it again, pausing it along the way to add things and test things out.

Hopefully some of these resources will help and try not to cram too much in at once, if you're anything like me it just won't register.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

Learn Python the Hard Way is definitely the best book that I've seen recently. Once you have a handle on the foundations, I suggest buying a copy of David Beazley's Python Desk Reference. It's a reference manual for the language with a lot of instructive writing. I kept this on my desk for about the first two years that I was writing python, and found it very useful. It's still on a shelf within arm's reach of my desk.

Also, if there are any python users groups or meetups in your area, I would suggest going to them. The Boston Python group is very strong, and we have talks once a month, and a project night once a month as well. It's great to be in a room with a bunch of people who know more than you do and can help you out - and it's also great to meet someone who's struggling with something you figured out last month, and to be able to help them out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostCerebia, on 10 May 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

..I've learned (learnt? idk) a lot by following this tutorial series on YouTube. He explains things in a way that I just get. What's worked well for me is watching the video all the way through, going to my text editor and seeing what I can do based on the last video. I will then watch it again, pausing it along the way to add things and test things out.

This is good to hear, and is how videos should be used. Too many people seem to treat a video as a "quick fix" for learning a subject; sit and watch a video, once, and the knowledge will be miraculously transferred without any effort :whistling:. A video needs to be supplemented with other materials and experimentation, and watched (and studied) more than once.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1