10 Replies - 1502 Views - Last Post: 13 February 2008 - 06:39 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 koolaroo  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 10-December 07

i am new

Post icon  Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

hi i am new. i am also new to programing were should i start. I have done some programing with game maker and html
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: i am new

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is offline

  • Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

Reputation: 4188
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,857
  • Joined: 18-April 07

Re: i am new

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

If your goal is to get heavy into the games and make a career out of it, I strongly recommend learning C++ as a foundation and then go into a language of choice like DirectX, XNA, or OpenGL. Either way, C++ is heavy in the industry and is the backbone of a lot of development.

I would start with getting yourself a nice C++ book, work through the small projects and keep the goal of gaming in mind. Make some little text games and move up to more visual languages where you can then build environments and game characters.

It would be helpful if you also learned some modeling and effects. You could use game making engines but if you want to go up and beyond, you will have to have the fundamentals down pat. Go to your local bookstore and find a great C++ beginner book that has plenty of examples, lots of topics and even projects at the end of each chapter.

Then ask any questions you have on here and we can help you take care of the rest. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 koolaroo  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 10-December 07

Re: i am new

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 10 Dec, 2007 - 10:19 AM, said:

If your goal is to get heavy into the games and make a career out of it, I strongly recommend learning C++ as a foundation and then go into a language of choice like DirectX, XNA, or OpenGL. Either way, C++ is heavy in the industry and is the backbone of a lot of development.

I would start with getting yourself a nice C++ book, work through the small projects and keep the goal of gaming in mind. Make some little text games and move up to more visual languages where you can then build environments and game characters.

It would be helpful if you also learned some modeling and effects. You could use game making engines but if you want to go up and beyond, you will have to have the fundamentals down pat. Go to your local bookstore and find a great C++ beginner book that has plenty of examples, lots of topics and even projects at the end of each chapter.

Then ask any questions you have on here and we can help you take care of the rest. :)

yeah most people tell me I should try c++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 babinfrow  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 17-December 07

Re: i am new

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

If you want a good book any of the Deitel series are very good. Reading is a little tough but the examples are very good. If you want a cheaper i can lend a hand if you pm me. But i suggest the books as good references.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Delta_Echo  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict

Reputation: 5
  • View blog
  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: 24-October 07

Re: i am new

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:22 AM

C++, Start there. Get Dev-C++ as your IDE :)
I think you should read "Beginning C++ Game Programing".
I downloaded it and its about 46.4 MB.

Good luck and happy coding!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 all4  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-January 08

Re: i am new

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

Anyone have a link to a free c++ book online or something i could download.

Appreciate the help btw.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Delta_Echo  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict

Reputation: 5
  • View blog
  • Posts: 722
  • Joined: 24-October 07

Re: i am new

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

Get "C++ Without Fear" its good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Matty116  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 02-February 08

Re: i am new

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hi Marty I would just like to ask you some questions, if thats ok with you. Firstly im totally new to game programming and C C++, im 19 years old, and i really want to have a career in the gaming industry. I have also had a few attemps on the game maker. But that's proberbly the best experience i have. I am good at computers and have good knowledge on using xp, vista etc... I have just brought a book as u recomended to 1 of the over users. It is Beginning C++ Game programming premier press game development (michael dawson). The book hasnt come yet by the way. So basically Marty i just need some genuine advice. What should be my next step? Should i pay to do a game development course? How shall i pursue my dream on in being in the gaming industry. I hope you can help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Tom9729  Icon User is offline

  • Segmentation fault
  • member icon

Reputation: 180
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,641
  • Joined: 30-December 07

Re: i am new

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

View PostMatty116, on 2 Feb, 2008 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hi Marty I would just like to ask you some questions, if thats ok with you. Firstly im totally new to game programming and C C++, im 19 years old, and i really want to have a career in the gaming industry. I have also had a few attemps on the game maker. But that's proberbly the best experience i have. I am good at computers and have good knowledge on using xp, vista etc... I have just brought a book as u recomended to 1 of the over users. It is Beginning C++ Game programming premier press game development (michael dawson). The book hasnt come yet by the way. So basically Marty i just need some genuine advice. What should be my next step? Should i pay to do a game development course? How shall i pursue my dream on in being in the gaming industry. I hope you can help.

His name is Martyr not Marty. ;)

Also, please post with standard font size/attributes/colours.

Being good at using Windows does not mean you're good at using computers (sorry to burst your bubble). I applaud the fact that you want to learn something new, and game programming is a lot of fun, but you can't just jump right into it. Learn how to walk before you learn how to fly, you know? Games are probably some of the most complex programs to right. If you want to learn how to program games, you're going to have to learn how to make normal programs first. I don't know what level "Beginning C++ Game Programming" targets, but if you find yourself having trouble you may want to put it on hold for a little bit and do some generic C++ tutorials. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Matty116  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 02-February 08

Re: i am new

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

[font=Times New Roman]

View PostTom9729, on 2 Feb, 2008 - 12:07 PM, said:

View PostMatty116, on 2 Feb, 2008 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hi Marty I would just like to ask you some questions, if thats ok with you. Firstly im totally new to game programming and C C++, im 19 years old, and i really want to have a career in the gaming industry. I have also had a few attemps on the game maker. But that's proberbly the best experience i have. I am good at computers and have good knowledge on using xp, vista etc... I have just brought a book as u recomended to 1 of the over users. It is Beginning C++ Game programming premier press game development (michael dawson). The book hasnt come yet by the way. So basically Marty i just need some genuine advice. What should be my next step? Should i pay to do a game development course? How shall i pursue my dream on in being in the gaming industry. I hope you can help.

His name is Martyr not Marty. ;)

Also, please post with standard font size/attributes/colours.

Being good at using Windows does not mean you're good at using computers (sorry to burst your bubble). I applaud the fact that you want to learn something new, and game programming is a lot of fun, but you can't just jump right into it. Learn how to walk before you learn how to fly, you know? Games are probably some of the most complex programs to right. If you want to learn how to program games, you're going to have to learn how to make normal programs first. I don't know what level "Beginning C++ Game Programming" targets, but if you find yourself having trouble you may want to put it on hold for a little bit and do some generic C++ tutorials. :)

Well i appreciate your message and i will take on board on what you have said. Thanks Tom...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 mmakrzem  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 5
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: 11-January 08

Re: i am new

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:39 AM

On www.marek-knows.com you will find C++ and Game Development help video's. I have two book shelves full of game development books that I can recommend. Personally I really like the LaMothe series. Look him up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1