9 Replies - 1584 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What should I do next? feels like going nowhere...

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hey guys, well my question is that:

Iv'e been programming for a while... in C/C#/Java (didn't find too much of a difference to be honest).
All this time iv'e been mainly solving problems at - Project Euler,InterviewBit, LeetCode ...
As I do enjoy solving problems and wish to keep doing so, I'd like to take my programming a step forward to something more practical.
Not sure where or what, what should I try to do? a game? which one how do I start? a program?

Iv'e no idea what to do besides solving math problems in cmd ><"

Hope I managed to explain my self good enough, thanks for reading and have a great day :)/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What should I do next? feels like going nowhere...

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What should I do next? feels like going nowhere...

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

Design, and implement, projects. Take a gander at our project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

Another great problem site is
http://rosalind.info...lems/locations/

Maybe you need a project:
http://www.dreaminco...-project-ideas/

Maybe a different language would help you see the programming landscape differently:
https://pragprog.com...-in-seven-weeks

Or maybe you would like to learn about different kinds of program (e.g. console, desktop gui, smartphone app, browser plugin, web service, distributed, etc.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

Start with a project, and grow on it touching different aspect. For example develop an application, then see how you can expand it, Try adding implementing the application with a database, try making the application accessible over the web through web services, try different frameworks. If you're using Java there are plenty of frameworks to use. Struts, Hibernate, Spring just to name a few. C# has also has some cool frameworks for databases, and also check out the Office OpenXml framework. It lets you manipulate Microsoft office document files programmatically, very cool. Basically once you realize that you know the core of a language try to build small projects, then try to make it even bigger and see how you can utilize frameworks to even make your application better. Also look into GitHub for open source projects to contribute in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:38 AM

View PostDankwansere, on 25 April 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

Start with a project, and grow on it touching different aspect. For example develop an application, then see how you can expand it, Try adding implementing the application with a database, try making the application accessible over the web through web services, try different frameworks. If you're using Java there are plenty of frameworks to use. Struts, Hibernate, Spring just to name a few. C# has also has some cool frameworks for databases, and also check out the Office OpenXml framework. It lets you manipulate Microsoft office document files programmatically, very cool. Basically once you realize that you know the core of a language try to build small projects, then try to make it even bigger and see how you can utilize frameworks to even make your application better. Also look into GitHub for open source projects to contribute in.

Ok I took your suggestion as working on a project, thats sounds good.

Lets say I want to start learning how to make apps/games for android.

A simple project would be - snake? (dont have any other idea).

If so where should I start reading about it? by looking online I found guides that just shows you the code, I dont like learning this way /:

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:43 AM

For android there are many resources. A quick search on Youtube will give you many tutorial videos that are very good. Also even though you don't like reading guides, the official Android documentation page gives very good tutorials on how to use the android frameworks and API.

Android developer homepage
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

If so where should I start reading about it?

Then get a specific book on android and android game programming. Plenty out there that provide structured learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

A simple project would be - snake? (dont have any other idea).

If so where should I start reading about it? by looking online I found guides that just shows you the code, I dont like learning this way /:

Actually, figuring out how to do snake yourself is pretty difficult. If you follow a tutorial and see how people do it, it's a breeze. Doing it all yourself? You won't be ready.

A much simpler game would be like space invader, but instead of the enemies cycling back and forth, they just randomly spawn outside of the screen and "fall" towards the player, who scrolls horizontally at the bottom of the screen and shoots the enemies.

Snake is a gridbased game. There is a lot to think about. Like I said, easy to follow a tutorial and get it done, if that's your thing. But, if you really want to write something yourself, you can write this space shooter game.

• Put a player on the screen
  • Move player left/right when pressing respective direction
  • Prevent player from exiting the screen
  • Show bullet shooting when pressing key
  • Remove bullet when out of screen
  • Random spawn an enemy outside of screen and change y position by a speed every tick
  • Remove enemy when out of bottom of screen
  • Write collision code such that the bullet hitting enemy removes enemy
  • Add a score counter display
  • Increment score when bullet collides
  • Add a lives counter
  • Decrement lives when enemy collides with player and restart level.
  • Eventually add powerups and such...

So, that's still a ton of stuff to learn. How to load resources (images,music,sfx)? How to do collision? How to draw to screen? How to make a game loop? How to make a game loop that restarts on death? It's all doable by thinking it out without tutorials, which is where you are going to learn the most.

I like your attitude though. Tutorials can make you a monkey-see-monkey-do programmer without much grasp on what is really going on.

This post has been edited by MentalFloss: 28 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:40 AM

If I may add a few tips:

Working out how the different components of a game act and work together is a great idea, and gaining a solid understanding of game structures will definitely help you in the future when you want to take the development to a new level, or when you want to start a new project. When you've experimented with game loops and the such, you can try out the LIBGDX framework which streamlines the development process, and does many things for you, greatly simplifying the process.

If you've never made a game before -- or worked with GUI-related stuff in general -- I suggest you start out by creating a text-based game. Contrary to popular belief, they are fun to make and can help prepare you for the eventual graphics game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

java is always good
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1