3 Replies - 795 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

trying to make employee database

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

Very, very, very lost :)

Hello. I'm trying to make an employee data base which keeps track of their ID, first and last name, and the territories in which they work (I'm using East, North, South, and West as basic locations). I've never used Access before and I have been watching many videos, but I'm still lost. I've made an employee table which has their ID as the Primary key, and their first and last name, and finally their employee territories (I'm wanting to show some of them working in multiple locations). I also have a territories table, which under the branch territory column I have the four locations. I set the relationship from one to many for the territories in both tables. I'm wanting to set a form up so that when I pick their name out of a combo box, their employee info and territories worked at will show. I understand the combo box part, however I think I'm messing up at the relationship part. As I have it set up now, when I enter the territory table, under each territory I'm able to enter the employee ID and names and it fills out the employee table. I thought I was on the right track, however it won't let me add an employee under more than one area in the territory table. Sorry if I'm making this sound confusing, but I'm really confused! :)/>

Thank you in advanced!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: trying to make employee database

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: trying to make employee database

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

Do not use a meaningless title like "Very, very, very lost :)" I have changed it for you on this occasion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

If the territory is a foreign key in the employee table then there is only room for an employee to work at one territory.

You need a many to many relationship, requiring a third link (or associate) table.

one employee can work at many territories, one territory can have many employees
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

Ah okay I'll give that a shot - thanks!

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 07 May 2016 - 12:35 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +