6 Replies - 1900 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should my employer pay me for learning?

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hey everyone, I got my first tech job about 2 weeks ago and haven't really provided any value to my employer yet but have spent a lot of time learning a framework and doing tutorials and stuff he has sent me. Our agreed contract is that I do about 10 hours a week of work and am paid on a per hour basis and send him an invoice at the end of each month. Should I try and get paid for the time I have put in learning the new framework, or should I just start charging him when I start actually working on the application? Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should my employer pay me for learning?

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should my employer pay me for learning?

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Is it a custom framework or something mainstream? Something main stream I would devote some personal time to learning, if it is something they have for them, then they need to pay me to learn their framework, as it is not transferable elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

It is the Enyo Javascript framework for creating apps on all the regular devices, as well as TV's.

http://enyojs.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

You should discuss this with your employer. Properly speaking, you should have discussed this with your employer before you started, but you should certainly bring it up now. When you do bring it up, it would be useful if you would have some idea of how long it's going to take you to get up to speed - to the point where you can start producing some useful work. He might also ask about how much time you've already spent on this effort, and what you've managed to work out so far, so you should be ready to talk about that - he might want to have some idea of what he'd be paying you for, if he were to pay you for learning time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:07 AM

If you are that good, that you can write your own ticket, & in a buyer/seller world where you are a hired contractor : If your skill set is in that high demand that you need to learn technology X on the side to deliver technology Y, yes.

In all other cases, I would say no.

At the end of the day, your client is buying a product. When you buy a car from GM, are you going to agree to pay an additionally $10k so you can get 10 more hp in trade off for increased fuel efficiency, that they can then incorporate into their own manufacturing process to deliver to all customers going forward? But you might pay a car restoration guy extra for finding leather seats that otherwise were not offered with that model. Just to put it into perspective.

Additionally, because your question is about taking payment, & involving a contract, & it's not really about developing the software, I'm moving the topic to Freelancing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:19 AM

but have spent a lot of time learning a framework and doing tutorials and stuff he has sent me.

It seems straight forward. Did he assign you the work of learning the framework/tutorials he sent you, or were they merely suggestions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

In the long run, the employer is paying for your learning. It takes time to write code in an unfamiliar environment. Extra time, as you learn what you don't know. Since that time is spent working on the client's project, aren't they already paying for it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1