5 Replies - 608 Views - Last Post: 20 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you structure your development process?

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hello guys,

I have recently taken a 3-4 weeks break from programming because im taking a math course while waiting for answer from the Universities i applied too but now it is time for me to start on a new project and before im starting i would like to gather some thoughts from all of you guys to improove my ideas and plans.

I would appreciate if you could take your time and fill in my google form, it's like 6 questions so it doesn't take long.
Link: https://docs.google....Y2aOko/viewform

Also i got the advice to start some discussion in this thread so let's discuss productivity tools!

• How do you manage your tasks and / or projects?
  • What's your favorite productivity tool and why? What's your favorite feature and is there any features you feel is missing?
  • What are the key features that you want in your ideal productivity tool?
  • Do you think being able to share the entire or some parts of the development process of a project to the public is a good idea? For example milestones and announcements?

Would be greatful for some help!

Best Regards

This post has been edited by Brokenprogrammer: 19 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you structure your development process?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you structure your development process?

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

How do you manage your tasks and / or projects?

Lists and design documents.

What's your favorite productivity tool and why?

Excel. It helps with lists.

What features do you like or think should be added?

To what?

Do you think being able to share the entire or some parts of the development process of a project to the public is a good idea? For example milestones and announcements?

I would figure announcements would be for the public. General milestones, sure. It all depends on the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

Thank you for your input modi123_1!

I have also caught myself using list tools just like excel and it works great.
Do you also use Excel when working with someone else? Or on a project with more than one member?

Do you use a web app for excel?

I edited the questions, i was a bit in a hurry when i made the thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

Project management software comes in handy when dealing with more than just you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostBrokenprogrammer, on 19 May 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

[*]How do you manage your tasks and / or projects?

At work, we use Jira. On my active side project, we use the github issue tracker, but we're planning on moving to something better.

[*]What's your favorite productivity tool and why?

Emacs. Because it makes me productive.

[*]What are the key features that you want in your ideal productivity tool?

It should do what I want, not what you think I want, and if it doesn't do what I want I should be able to change it to be what I want it to be.
It's not clear what you mean by "productivity tool" - all tools should be productivity tools. If they're not making you more productive, you should get rid of them.

[*]Do you think being able to share the entire or some parts of the development process of a project to the public is a good idea? For example milestones and announcements?

Yes, you should always be in touch with your stakeholders and they should always know what you've done for them lately.

View PostBrokenprogrammer, on 20 May 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

Do you also use Excel when working with someone else? Or on a project with more than one member?

I have had people try to do this to me. It didn't last long. Excel is pretty useless when it comes to project management - this is why real management tools exist.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

It should do what I want, not what you think I want, and if it doesn't do what I want I should be able to change it to be what I want it to be.
It's not clear what you mean by "productivity tool" - all tools should be productivity tools. If they're not making you more productive, you should get rid of them.

I really agree with that it should always do what you want and not anything else. I kind of misphrased myself saying just productivity tools basically i mean all tools that assist you with both productivity and project management.

Project management software comes in handy when dealing with more than just you.

I totally agree, it can help showing off what should be done and who is doing what.
Personally i think Project management software comes in handy for my own projects as well because i always like to plan my projects and divide it up in small tasks.

This post has been edited by Brokenprogrammer: 20 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1