3 Replies - 517 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Replacing Lubuntu with Ubuntu

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

I installed Lubuntu 16.04, and noticed quite a few bugs. I want to remove this OS, and put Ubuntu 14.04 on instead.

When giving the Linux partition back to Windows, I understand that you need to put the Windows 10 .iso onto a flash drive, and repair Windows from there.

However, I don't want to give the partition back to Windows. I want to delete the Lubuntu volumes from disk manager, leave it unallocated, and put Ubuntu in it's place. Is this possible? Or do I have to give the partition back to Windows, then re-partition it for Ubuntu, and then install Ubuntu in the re-created unallocated disk space?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Replacing Lubuntu with Ubuntu

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Replacing Lubuntu with Ubuntu

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

Why not just format the partition currently holding 16.04 and install 14.04 on there instead?
There's no need to mess with the partition layout if you already have it set up properly.

Insert the Ubuntu 14.04 DVD/USB, and then choose to install it over the 16.04 partition(s) during the installation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

So I don't need to delete or do anything with the partitions? Just install Ubuntu 14.04 in those partitions, and it will automatically reformat the partitions?

This post has been edited by Atli: 23 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

I'm not a 100% sure if it will happen automatically, as the 16.04 partitions are likely compatible with a 14.04 install.

But if you choose your partition set up manually during the OS install (which I'm guessing you'll do, since you are dual booting?) you just need to make sure the "Format" check is ticked on the appropriate partitions, and they will be formatted before the new OS is installed on them.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from formatting the partition within Windows first, but Windows doesn't support the Linux partitions, so you'd have to (or rather: should) re-format them anyway during the install.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1