5 Replies - 749 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2016 - 03:51 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Constructive Criticism for this site: Unintuitive, dated, unprofession

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

I must say that the design of this site is extremely unprofessional. The design is not consistent, the positioning of all the links and the navigation is awkward and very hard to use. This is by far from an elegant design, and should be changed. The design also looks very dated too. Sites like StackOverflow are extremely well thought out, with a clean user interface that balances access to content with ease of use and aesthetics. This site however, is very unprofessional. I really don't understand how this forum can persist through because it doesn't have anything special going for it. I think it still exists simply because it got lucky since it was created at an early date.

Not trying to be harsh, but other sites simply are so much better designed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Constructive Criticism for this site: Unintuitive, dated, unprofession

• Duke of Err
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Constructive Criticism for this site: Unintuitive, dated, unprofession

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Personally, I think Stackoverflow's site is a pain since they changed it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Out of curiosity, why did you join this forum then? You have one post complaining about the site. I'm not sure what the point is of joining, if you don't like Dream.in.Code.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for your feedback! the C/C++ forum was not a very intuitive location for this discussion, so I've moved to the Site Feedback forum.

I think it's widely acknowledged around here that the design of the site has some opportunities for growth which, due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, are not being seized upon with quite the ferocity and vigor that we might see in a site that was being run for profit and able to employ squads of developers and designers and such like. That's accepted without a lot of debate. It's also beyond question that the focus of this site is very different from that of Stack Overflow. Stack Overflow's goal is to collect and offer forth the one right answer to every question that anyone could ever ask. That's fine and good, and if you're looking for the one right answer to how you get a certain effect in CSS, given a certain DOM structure, then that's the place to do.

DIC is not that site and doesn't really try to be that site. DIC is about helping programmers become better at their craft so they can answer their own questions. We do that by first giving people answers, and then by encouraging them to stick around and answer other people's questions, which is really the surest and fastest way to learn the arts of code. So we tempt people in with an offer of fish, and then we teach them to fish, and then we teach them to teach others to fish. And by the time we're done, everyone has more fish than they know what to do with, so we spend our time arguing about the deep philosophical questions of the day over in the Caffeine Lounge.

All of which is much more interesting to me than the sort of drab approach favored by Stack Overflow but - happy day! - both sites exist, so those who favor one can patronize the one they favor, and those who find a place in this world for both can happily go to one, then the other, as the spirit moves them.

Isn't life grand?

EDIT: Irony is a real thing. It just took me about four tries to edit that link into this post.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:10 AM

It could certainly do with a drastic revamp, but I echo the points already made by mac and jon. In particular, you've made a single post to criticise the site (constructive or otherwise). If I encountered a site that I considered very poor I would simply use the Back button, I wouldn't waste my time registering.

I'm not sure what's unintuitive about it. There is a clear list and description of forums you can post a question in, links for a huge list of tutorials, snippets, blog entries, discussion forums. It's fab :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:51 AM

It's the people that make it special.

If you ask me if I would like to live in a cold and empty Palace or my own lovely home surrounded by my family and friends.

Then my home wins everytime.

SO is that cold and empty Palace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1