12 Replies - 1369 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Quit full time job to focus on finishing CS degree?

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

I'm still in school and was offered a full time IT job awhile ago. I took it because I thought it'd help pay for school and that I could balance both a full time job and classes. I was wrong, it's really hard taking classes with a full time job. I'm only able to take 1 or 2 (maybe) classes each quarter.

So since I've saved up enough to pay for school, what's the best option to take? I was thinking of quitting and start doing internships again. Would companies still consider me for software engineer internships if I've already held a full time IT position?

Or should I just keep my job and slowly inch my way to graduation? If I do quit, then I could finish by May 2017. If I don't, then maybe Dec 2017 or later. But by then, I wouldn't have any relevant experience in software development....

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Quit full time job to focus on finishing CS degree?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Quit full time job to focus on finishing CS degree?

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:44 AM

That, you may need to consult your boss with. Explain him the situation and the goal you are targeting, and ask if you can be a part time or remote or even be an intern.

The decision where you want to be a part time student or a fulltime or have a 80% load of your studies while working fulltime is really, your decision.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

What sort of IT job are you in now?

I worked through college at about 35+ hours a week and made it, more or less, on time.

Quarters? The last time I checked weren't colleges on a semester basis?

Spring graduation vs a Winter graduation that same year? Seems like odd hair splitting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

I'm doing this and it's killing me. The only reason I don't quit and focus on school is because I don't have the money saved up as I'm supporting myself. 8 years in school and running. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

i worked a full time job 40+ hours a week, family, and went to school -- i ended graduating cum laude-- it isnt that hard if you put your mind to it and have good time management skills
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

I do not, so yeah.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:29 AM

Fulltime school and fulltime work also hinges on not just your own time management, but the freedom of time management your school and/or job allow for.

If a class ain't available at the time of day that you have available to be free, because your job needs you at work from X to Y hours in the day, there ain't no amount of time management that allows you to pull that off.

When I was in school I had to pull mostly 3rd shift jobs since most of the classes in my field were only mid day classes.

Possible, sure.

Easy, I wouldn't call it that.

I literally would sleep in the freezer at the gas station I worked at between work and school... it was easier than the 30 minute commute home for 2 hours of sleep before the 30 minute commute back for school.

And I still ended up dropping out...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

Yes, trying to schedule school around work is a nightmare. Rarely are classes after 5. I have gotten into the habit of registering for 8 am classes recently, since stand up is at 940 I sometimes just barely make it if at all. Luckily my team and employer are sympathetic to my situation so they don't mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 May 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

What sort of IT job are you in now?

I worked through college at about 35+ hours a week and made it, more or less, on time.

Quarters? The last time I checked weren't colleges on a semester basis?

Spring graduation vs a Winter graduation that same year? Seems like odd hair splitting.

Doing system admin stuff. Problem is I'm bored of it because it's not what I want to do. I want to be a software engineer when I graduate.

Well in California we have quarter systems and the Dec 2017 is maybe the earliest if I don't quit and pass all my classes. I haven't really been able to find a lot of time because the work schedule sucks. I've had to work on weekends and late last year, I worked for at least 18hr a day everyday because of stupid deadlines and bad management. This is a recurring theme at the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

I might advise hunting around for internships and co-ops. Since you are enrolled at the school, career services and your advisor should be able to help you. Ideally, there is a career fair of some sorts. If you graduate in May, then it's a little late for an internship, but you could still try for one. If you're graduating in December, then Summer 2017 is a great time for an internship.

There are also lots of folks who generally need programmers on a college campus. They're generally willing to pay using grant money too. It's probably $10-15/hour, but it's still paid experience and likely only a few hours per week. Such experience will definitely help when you go to look for your entry level position.

I don't feel comfortable advising you to quit your job and rough it through school, but it sounds like your current employment is rather toxic. There is nothing to say that you cannot change employers and work while going through school.

Good luck with your decision!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

I quit my part time job to concentrate on what I've been studying. I consider it a temporary struggle that later on will pay off.

hopefully.

EDIT: Not sure why I bumped this thread when I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I felt it would be relevant to post this.

This post has been edited by Nitewalkr: 20 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 27 May 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

8 years in school and running.

What the actual fuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

I work full time, yo. I can only take 1-2 classes at a time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1