3 Replies - 1123 Views - Last Post: 09 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

Poll: What should i use? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Languages

1. C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. C++ in VS (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. QT with C++ (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. C++ in Codeblocks (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C or C++ or QT with C++

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

Good day folks,

So i have my certificate for VBA and MS-SQL and i plan my next step in learning languages.
But i donīt know where i should begin.

A few friends say i should learn C to better understand c++, a few friends say use QT with C++ for better usability and it is not bound to frameworks from microsoft.
Than a few say learn c++ directly in visual studio, net framework is the best.

What is this forum saying? What do you thing, should i use?

Regards,
Tobias

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C or C++ or QT with C++

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C or C++ or QT with C++

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:31 AM

First of all your choice of graphics toolkit is independent of your choice of IDE. You can create Qt or Windows API applications in any of the IDEs. I'd personally favor Qt as it can be used cross-platform whereas using the Windows API obviously ties you to Windows, but that's really your choice.

Secondly C++, even if you write and compile it in Visual Studio, does not run on the .net framework. There's a language called C++/CLI that does run on .net, but my impression is that it's not very popular or widely used. In any case it's a different language from C++ and should not be confused with it. If you want to program .net applications, I'd recommend learning C# instead.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:47 AM

@sepp2k

VS is out, because C++/CLI is not the language i like to use.
C# is great, and with net core is cross-platform possible, but i donīt know.
QT, sounds good, but might this be the right IDE to learn C++?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

QT, sounds good, but might this be the right IDE to learn C++?

QT is a graphics framework, not an IDE. There is an IDE called QT Creator but you don't need to use QT Creator to write programs using QT.

To learn C++ I recommend starting with console applications to learn the basics of the language. Then once you know the language basics you can start learning how to make GUI programs. If you're more interested in GUI programming I recommend learning C# since the C# language has "standard" features designed to ease the creation of the GUI portion of programs. There is no standard GUI framework available for C++, there are several good third party frameworks available, QT being just one of the offerings.

VS is out, because C++/CLI is not the language i like to use.

C++/CLI is not the only language available with Visual Studio. You can use this IDE with standard C++, C# and several other languages. However I don't recommend Visual Studio for modern C programs since the Microsoft C compiler doesn't support the current C standards.

C# is great, and with net core is cross-platform possible, but i don´t know.

Don't worry about cross-platform until you're totally familiar with the language, whatever language. Trying to write true cross-platform applications is not for the beginner in any language, IMO.

A few friends say i should learn C to better understand c++,

This is old think. If you want to learn C++ then learn C++. If you want to learn C then learn C. These two languages, while having a common base, are quite different in implementation. There is no need to learn C before you try to tackle C++, and IMO learning C first may hinder learning many aspects of C++.

Jim

This post has been edited by jimblumberg: 09 June 2016 - 07:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1