6 Replies - 2067 Views - Last Post: 08 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is the best way to practice programming?

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:48 AM

Hello everyone. I'm in college and I want to be the best programmer I can. What is the best way to study programming?

Following a book? making a game? solving problems?

when you were learning, what it was better?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is the best way to practice programming?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the best way to practice programming?

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:46 AM

Attend class, consume knowledge (preferably structured like a book), and do projects.

project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostAndreygFranca, on 14 June 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

What is the best way to study programming?

Write programs.

Following a book?

Reading books won't get you far. Most books will only ever have you doing simple exercises, which is not enough to gain the skill required to be a good programmer. They are good for learning the basics, and new techniques, but unless you put them into practice, that learning is not worth much.

making a game?

If that is what you like doing, then sure. Everybody has their own preferred area. Game development, mobile apps, web dev, etc... As long as it interests you, then you're golden.

With that said, Game Development is generally considered one of the toughest area of programming. Requires a lot of math, for example.

solving problems?

Programming is problem solving. That's literally what programmers do: solve logic puzzles; design solutions to problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:17 AM

To answer your question about "best way to study programming," I like watching lectures on youtube. I'm talking actual classroom lectures. My fav lecturers so far are Jonathan Shewchuck, Prof Mehran, and Richard Buckland. Check them out!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:40 AM

Writing programs is a practical skill, like carpentry or playing a musical instrument or speaking a foreign language. As such, the only way to learn to do it is to do it: specifically, you do it wrong, figure out what you did that was wrong, and figure out a way to change that, then do it again. You'll do it wrong again, this is fine. Iterate on this: do, retrospect, revise.

Specifically, I suggest you try to find something to work on that's a little beyond your current ability, but which you think you can finish in a reasonably short time. Try to spec that out so that you know what "done" looks like, and then try to estimate how long it'll take you. Then start writing. When you get to "done", you should ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I like what I wrote? What did I do that was new and cool? What looks icky and makes me feel not-so-good?
- How hard would it be to change this? (Think of a few changes that someone might ask you to make to this software, and try to imagine how hard it would be to make those changes.)
- Knowing what I know now, what would I do differently if I were to rewrite this from scratch?

Don't spend a lot of time agonizing over these - not more than an hour - but be sure to do that reflection step. That's really going to help you improve.

(Then, of course, you come up with a new project and do it again.)

Reading books won't get you far.

This is true. To expand on it: reading books can tell you about what code you should try to write next, but it's up to you to try to write that code. When you read books, you should do it actively. If there is code, type that code into your favorite editor and run it. If it doesn't run, figure out a way to make it run. Make sure you understand all of the pieces and what they're doing for you, and maybe try to improve it so that it seems cleaner, clearer, or otherwise better for you. If there are exercises, do them - all of them. If there are no exercises, come up with some, and then do those.

Books are great, and there's a lot that you can learn from them, but they only work if you do.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:25 AM

The best way to do programming is to do it daily, and not just when you need to (school, homework, ect.) but try making projects you'll like, that's the best way for me to teach myself.

I've tried reading books, but I never had interests to fully read thick books.
I've also tried helping others, but it's not really useful if you have little knowledge by yourself.
So the best solution is to just keep programming, in my case, I've made a small game, and when I was stuck at something, I was looking up information on my own. and I also look up how to shorten things up, and so that was what makes you a real student.
I also was bad at drawing first too, but by doing it everyday, I'll slowly got better, and now I can make stuff where I can be proud of myself. same goes for programming.

So, simply said, pick up something you'll enjoy programming, and you'll most likely learn on your own.
Get that experience and level up!
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

As others have said roll up your sleeves and get stuck into some codez :online2long:

Start a simple project, catalog of movies for example, and move through the whole CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) thing.

Get either your teachers or class mates to review your code, what could be improved, easier ways of doing things, etc.

What sort of programming we talking about here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1