5 Replies - 705 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2016 - 10:54 PM

Poll: Mac Dilemma (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I keep the mac and fix it?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mac Dilemma

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

So I'll start by saying that I'm currently running a Mid 2010 Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 gHz, core i7 with 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

Here is my issue! I bought this machine back in 2010 and I was the first owner. I never had an issue out of it as it was top of the line back in its day! Now that it is considered "vintage" the problems have started. A notorious issue with these machines is the faulty GFX switching among other things and for me this is no longer an exception. I have recently determined that this machine will need a new logic board and battery (around $400-$500). There was a recall of sorts from Apple for this year but I missed the window since the issues just started.

Taking into account that I will be attending my first year of college this fall (2016) about 2 months from now what do you all think I should do? This machine was about $2800 back in the day and it does actually run fine right now but must be plugged into a power source and I have to use gfxcardstatus to make it run ONLY onboard gfx and NO switching. It is still fast and a very nice computer but cash is tight for me at the moment and I don't know whether to invest my $400-$500 into a new laptop or to fix this one! I am taking programming courses at my college so a computer is a must.

Thank you for any input!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mac Dilemma

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mac Dilemma

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:45 PM

if it were me, I'd probably try to find one on eBay (that includes a return policy) with a broken LCD instead of buying just the logic board.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:18 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 14 June 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

if it were me, I'd probably try to find one on eBay (that includes a return policy) with a broken LCD instead of buying just the logic board.

That isn't a bad idea but after some searching I'm not finding much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

Is there any particular reason you want to pay the Mac tax? You can certainly find a machine with similar power for a fraction of the price. What is it about Mac that you need?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 June 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

Is there any particular reason you want to pay the Mac tax? You can certainly find a machine with similar power for a fraction of the price. What is it about Mac that you need?

I no longer have a "need" for a mac but I used to be into music recording/editing.

Pretty much though I will only be able to come up with the $400 - $500 in time for school. From what I can tell the prices on laptops are ridiculous anymore for a decent one (yes I know, I bought a Mac so how can I say that.) I don't want to buy a low end PC when I can have a fairly high end Mac, albeit outdated, for the same price.

That being said I do realize that I have just grown attached to this machine, haha. I would like to have a PC that I could game on as well as use for work/school but like I said before I don't want a low end one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:54 PM

Approximately 2 minutes on microcenter.com finds one of these:

HP Pavilion 17-g103dx 17.3" Laptop Computer Refurbished - Horizontal Brushing in Natural Silver; Intel Core i7-4510U Processor 2.0GHz; Microsoft Windows 10 Home; 8GB DDR3L SDRAM; 1TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive

That's $479.99

Compare this to the least expensive thing I could find on apple.com with a similar amount of search time:

256GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage1
1.1GHz dual-core
Intel Core m3 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.2GHz
8GB memory
Intel HD Graphics 515

And that goes for $1,299.00

Your call, but if you've got $400-$500 to spend, it looks to me like you can get a pretty tolerable programmer's machine, which only needs the OS replaced, and come in about on budget (shipping will take you a little over) And I'm absolutely sure you can find a better machine at a better price if you spend more than two minutes looking at more than one site.
That gets you a new machine that's going to be a solid workhorse for the rest of your time at school at least. Compare that to doing some Frankenstein repair job on a busted old machine for the same money, I think I know which way I'd go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1