3 Replies - 524 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language is used for user-matching on websites?

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

Hi all. I'm new here and have a question about which language is best suited for a certain feature on websites. I'm more just asking out of curiosity right now, but have some ideas rolling around in my head that I may pursue in the future :stuart:/>

I'm sure everyone has used, or at least seen, a website that has some type of user-matching feature. What I mean by that is, every user is asked certain questions, and then given a list of users who answered similarly. I know dating websites are a big part of that. However, I'm also thinking of other sites who will match you with, say, someone who has your taste in video games, or is looking to do a certain activity and is available at X time on Y days.

My question is, what language(s) are used to write what performs the matching? I have some experience in HTML/CSS, C++, Lua, Flash/ActionScript, etc. but I've never done anything remotely similar to what I'm asking (on a website), so I'm not sure what languages are best suited to do it on a website rather than in an external application. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language is used for user-matching on websites?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language is used for user-matching on websites?

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

More than likely, SQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

Thank you! I kind of figured it might be that or something similar, just wasn't sure.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 17 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

Any general purpose language would do.

Consider an object containing all possible user responses. You could do a one to one match, where you simply count up the attributes of the same value. Or, perhaps, have more complex attributes where partial success is an option. Indeed, you could have negative modifiers as well, like disapproval of a certain group of attributes being a deal breaker.

Even in the most no frills languages, comparing an array of weights is pretty trivial.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1