#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Checked C is now open source

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

https://github.com/Microsoft/checkedc
http://research.micr...dc/default.aspx

Checked C is an extension to C that adds static and dynamic checking to detect or prevent common programming errors such as buffer overruns, out-of-bounds memory accesses, and incorrect type casts. This repo contains the specification for the extension, test code, and samples.

.. you know, for all you 'C' fans out there that need some checking to keep your code up to snuff.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: [link] Checked C is now open source

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: [link] Checked C is now open source

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:58 AM

It's a bit like the new string library, really do we need any more hand holding, we are C programmers aren't we. And especially from an industry hated veteran like this microsoft company. I think most people can see how they microsoft are using their money to try to infiltrate the industry that is relevant now, which is open source. They are trying to derail the change that is happening believing if they can just shut down the competition then maybe people will have to come back to them after all. Never going to happen, too much choice now and the only threat is from them. Just die quietly and stop interfering in our really great open source projects you microsoft fiend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

One one hand I applaud you resisting the urge to use "M$".. on the other I disagree with your drive by characterization of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

View Postlisperati, on 30 June 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

It's a bit like the new string library, really do we need any more hand holding

Yes:
https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Heartbleed
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:05 AM

I have to disagree about Microsoft's change of direction.

They are just waking up to an ever changing world that is doing certain stuff for free.

Should OS's be free ? undoubtedly yes.

Should professional industry software like PhotoShop and MS's Office suite be paid for ?

Again I think yes.

If Microsoft made its OS free it would suffer less from people trying to write viruses to attack Windows machines, that can only be a good thing.

Apple has a certain amount of good will in the industry that I think is totally unwarranted as they are more money grabbing and tax dodging than probably any other Company in the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:09 AM

View Postsnoopy11, on 18 September 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Should OS's be free ? undoubtedly yes.

Should professional industry software like PhotoShop and MS's Office suite be paid for ?

Again I think yes.

Are you saying that a programming language research project (that, as far as I know, was never available commercially nor meant to be) is a professional industry software such as PhotoShop or MS Office and thus shouldn't be open source?

I for one am a big fan of reproducibility in research, so I think that if you publish a CS paper about something, you should publish the code to go along with it. As such I very much approve that Microsoft Research tends to open source their projects. I'm not sure to which extend that's a change in direction though or whether they've always done that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

No I wasn't,

I just think the Microsoft bashing can go a bit far in this forum they are only one company,

and I think we are seeing a change in direction from Microsoft.

We have
Android OS's
Microsoft Windows
Apple's OS and iOS
Unix
Linux
BSD

as the main OS's now most people would like these OS's to be free so there is choice in what type of environment you can run your hardware on, be that Phone, Tablet, Personal Computer, Server or Workstation.

Most people do accept though that companies should make Money somehow, Adobe provides the free Acrobat Reader but Acrobat rightly remains a paid for product because the product is good at what it does and makes people money from publishing .pdf's informational, educational or otherwise.

Microsoft and Apple have their Phone hardware, Tablet hardware, and Apple also have their Personal Computer hardware.

People are willing to pay for the privilege of owning such a device because it makes their lives easier, more manageable and even more profitable. They expect such a device however to come with an OS and most people just want to use an OS and forget about the inner workings of such software, what they don't want is to pay a lot of money for such an OS. They expect it to come with the hardware.

So therefore OS's being free makes commercial sense it provides cover to sell your other products which run on that OS.

I also believe that visual studio is overpriced and should come down in price to make it more commercially viable for people in developing countries to obtain a development licence and produce good local software to meet local needs.

Eventually Microsoft will come to this conclusion as well.

Reduce the price sell more units makes more economic sense.

After all you could make the distro downloadable these days and your overheads for that are very low.

Open source projects have their place but not everything could or should be made open source.

Checked C being open source is a great idea and there is nothing wrong with that calling Microsoft an Industry hated veteran is however IMO over the top they are just a software company one software company of many.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

Oh, I see, you were responding to post #2, not the OP. Sorry for the confusion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

Yes and not a problem. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +