7 Replies - 1466 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Solaris 11 vs. Linux, OpenStack

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

So, looking for some input. I'm building an OpenStack cloud, and am looking at what to standardize on. A couple main options

• Solaris 11 + Native ZFS
  • Some Open-Solaris + Native ZFS
  • Linux + ZFS on Linux
  • Linux + BTRFS

The idea is that the hardware OS will be running OpenStack components, and the storage nodes will be a mix of different sized disks. All mostly server hardware. For Linux I'm leaning towards Ubuntu 16.04

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Solaris 11 vs. Linux, OpenStack

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Solaris 11 vs. Linux, OpenStack

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostGorian, on 29 June 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

All mostly server hardware. For Linux I'm leaning towards Ubuntu 16.04

Why? Why not use a Redhat (Fedora/CentOS) & LVM?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Redhat / CentOS. And does LVM support dedup, RAID over multiple disk and sizes, protect against bitrot, etc?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

LVM definitely supports at least RAID and multiple disks/ sizes. I am not sure on the dedup side of things (I haven't ever had to run it), but you can definitely set up mirroring and snapshots with LVM (and grow/shrink volumes) as well as a number of other pretty awesome capabilities.

Now, I won't claim to be any expert on LVM, but the few days I have been reading up on it and exploring it deeper, I have found it to be really interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Add a disk to LVM Makes admining VM's in a Virtual Environment cake! Increasing disk size does not even require a reboot, though decreasing does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

So, why would you NOT recommend something like zfs or btrfs? Seems like they'd have a number of advantages over something like ext4+LVM. And how was LVM managed raid anyway?

This post has been edited by Gorian: 14 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

I tested SmartOS as an option, and while i really like its Solaris flavour, and its native ZFS, it doesn't have any packages for OpenStack or Gluster in it's repositories. Ubuntu 16.04 DOES have native ZFS, but you can't easily install it as root, so that's a bit of work too. From what I've read, you have to use the Ubuntu 16.04 DESKTOP CD to start a livecd session, and use that to put zfs on your disks, and THEN install Ubuntu Server...

This post has been edited by Gorian: 12 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:29 AM

In case anyone else is wondering, I ended up going with Ubuntu 16.04 + zfs. While a giant pain in the ass, it was the best option after my testing.

My results, for anyone interested.

╔═════════════════════════════════╦════════════════════╤═════════╤═════════╤═══════════════════════════╗
║                                 ║ Ubuntu 16.04 LTS   │ FreeBSD │ SmartOS │ Solaris 11                ║
╠═════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════╪═════════╪═════════╪═══════════════════════════╣
║ Native ZFS?                     ║ Yes (ZFS on Linux) │ Yes     │ Yes     │ Yes                       ║
╟─────────────────────────────────╫────────────────────┼─────────┼─────────┼───────────────────────────╢
║ Can install ZFS as /?           ║ Yes                │ Yes     │ Yes     │ Yes                       ║
╟─────────────────────────────────╫────────────────────┼─────────┼─────────┼───────────────────────────╢
║ Can install ZFS during install? ║ No                 │ Yes     │ Yes     │ Yes                       ║
║ ZFS root supports raidz?        ║ Yes                │ Yes     │ Yes     │ No (only allows mirroring)║
║ Repository has GlusterFS?       ║ Yes                │ Yes     │ No      │ No                        ║
║ Repository has OpenStack?       ║ Yes                │ No      │ No      │ Yes                       ║
╚═════════════════════════════════╩════════════════════╧═════════╧═════════╧═══════════════════════════╝

in order to get a bootable zfs raidz on Ubuntu 16.04, I ended up following these guides:
https://github.com/z...Root-Filesystem
https://github.com/z....04-Root-on-ZFS
http://dotfiles.tnet...ative-root.html

Note, if you decide to use the guide at https://github.com/z....04-Root-on-ZFS, that you would format your zfs mounts as rpool/ROOT/ubuntu/home, not rpool/home etc. in order to setup your filesystem correctly. And with the current state of grub on Ubuntu, you'll need to follow the steps from http://dotfiles.tnet...ative-root.html for your udev, or manually make your symlinks, from /dev/<disk id used by your zpool> to the /dev/disk/by-id/<disk id> in order for grub to see the disks to install (it pulls your disk id from the zpool status command, and then prepends /dev in order to get a full path)

This post has been edited by Gorian: 14 July 2016 - 12:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1