3 Replies - 507 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Router/modem troubleshooting and strange reply

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:06 AM

Hi

Yesterday night my internet was down. I tried to restart the router and modem (it's a modem-in-router-device) but that yet ain't working.
I guess it was a problem with the modem. Because, I was still able to connect to some device (I had a four bar connection, but also that yellow warning-sign); but just not to make an internet-connection.

A router is just the device making sure you can have a network of multiple devices, the modem delivers the actual connection. So, it must be a problem with the modem, right?
Could I be sure about this, if I did something like 'netview' and see if other devices show up, because netview should be working if the router is working, right?

Besides that, what I found very strange, is that when I tried to ping Google (to check if there was no internet connection) it actually gave a reply; but it didn't gave the IP of google.com but the IP of my router. This was with every websites I pinged.
Why would it return the IP of the router instead of saying "can't find host: google.com"?

And for in future cases,
how can I know sure it's a problem with my modem, router, or a problem at my ISP's end?
How should you troubleshoot your modem or router? Besides only trying to turn it off/on.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by O'Niel: 01 July 2016 - 06:07 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Router/modem troubleshooting and strange reply

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Router/modem troubleshooting and strange reply

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

Have you contacted your ISP?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:03 AM

No.
But I don't think that's needed because I'm not blaming them or something related. :)
I'm just asking the theory of why I'd get the IP of my router instead of Google. Why this is.
And how I can tell when I got a problem with modem or router, and how to troubleshoot.

I don't think the service-caller is going to explain me all this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

Dude.. it's their job to know what's up in the connection point of their service to your house. If they've been around longer than a year they certainly have heard 99.7% of all issues and can offer some quick diagnosis.. Like trying to ping the modem, reset connection information on their end, or what not. I would recommend starting there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1