how long did it take you to get your computer science degree?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 4055 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how long did it take you to get your computer science degree?

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Hi, im Brooks and a second year student studying a four year degree incomputer science at the University of Namibia, im starting to find it quite hard and ended up failing a class which is a prerequisite to future modules, I think it will be take me 5 years to finish this 4 year degree(hopefully not more) .. I just want to know if you went through this aswell? Should I sit it out? How long did it take you to get the degree? I love computer science just having trouble with networking. Any advice or comment will be welcome.. Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how long did it take you to get your computer science degree?

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how long did it take you to get your computer science degree?

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

I've been a developer for nearly 15 years - No degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

4.5 years with an unrelated minor. Developing for 13 years total. 6 years professionally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

I'm finishing my Computer Science degree this year and it's my 4th and last year. I've never really had failing grades for the major subjects (programming languages stuff, data structure, compiler design, automata etc etc) but I sure as heck failed a Networking subject (and it was Cisco 1, so I had problems with subjects that had it as prerequisites. Thankfully, I was able to catch up). That pressure of computing tons of IP addresses was a nightmare, don't even mention IPV6, ugh... The Maths were also a nightmare. Calculus, Numerical Methods, Statistics, Operation Research, Accounting (yeah we have two focusing on ERP stuff and how to build an info system).

But hey, I took up Computer Science to become a software developer and I know that's what really interests me, so despite the influx of required subjects that don't interest me as much, I persevered. They are, after all, valuable experiences that I can apply in developing software. I also love studying algorithms and listening to professors sharing their knowledge about their specialized fields and Computer Science as a whole.

As one of my professors said (our Core Java professor at that time), a CS curriculum shows all possible routes a CS degree holder can take as a future professional, and the curriculum gives us backgrounds on each one of them. If you suck at programming, then maybe Networking or something about Hardware is your strength? Likewise, if you're bad at hardware, then maybe software is for you. You can also go with the Math route and develop computation-heavy projects or research in the academe. He told that to us when we finished taking up Java under him. More than half of the class failed the subject so I think he felt like he needed to give a motivational speech of some sort. :sorcerer:

But yeah, disregarding the actual intentions, his speech actually makes sense and proved to be beneficial for anyone thinking about dropping the whole course.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

I ended up having to retake a Computer Organization class early on. I ended up switching to math so that I could focus more on theoretical computer science and less on the low-level architecture. I finished in four years with two degrees (Math and Economics) and a CS minor.

A lot of folks end up retaking classes in their college careers. In CS, the prerequisites stack, so it's easy to fall behind. You can always take summer courses or load up on other requirements without so many prerequisites (technical writing, statistics, etc.) so that you can finish on time. There is also no shame in taking an extra semester or year if it's needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

I got my CS Bachelors degree in 4.5 years. I could have done it in 3.5 years because at the start of my senior year I transferred from my university in the Philippines to a university in the US. I transferred over enough credits to actually already be eligible for graduation right off the bat. The issue was that the school would not credit any of my previous 4 semesters of English and Composition, nor my 6 semesters of humanities and arts classes, and they required at least 3 semesters each of those buckets to be taken from them. They also wanted me to take Assembly Language programming again. Additionally, they required that I take Calculus 3 even though the ASCII standard CS curriculum didn't require it at the time. Of course, the class offerings were such that I had to essentially stay in the school for 1.5 years to complete those requirements.

I got to skip out of the Assembly Programming class by talking to the teacher. I told him that I taught myself 6502 as a High School sophomore, x86 as a High School Junior, and formally learned Motorola 68000 as a college sophomore. The teacher gave me an oral exam, gave me an A+ for the class, and passed a note to the registrar that I could sign up for a different class.

The bright side of all this extra school time was that other than the classes I was required to take, I got to pick up many more CS classes than I would have ever been exposed to if I'd stayed in the Philippines and graduated on schedule. I also had enough time to become a student athlete. The latter was the most influential in my life because it gave me the opportunity to meet my coach who has since become a mentor and friend.

As noted by other folks above, don't despair about the extra time. Use it to your advantage. Perhaps volunteer to become a TA for some of the classes which you'd taken in the past and excelled in. Or explore the other interests you have where there are corresponding class offerings. Or offer tutoring services to underclassmen and pick up some extra money.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

While not computer science, it took me 6 years for a BS in Computer Engineering (I was a transfer student), then another 2 years for a MS in EE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

I got my BS in English Literature in four years. Got a minor in computer science. After a brief stint as an office peon and a consultant, I've worked as a DBA and a developer ever since.

You go higher education if you feel the need and can afford it. It's ultimately a wee line item on your resume. There is this mythology that the degree is the gateway to the job. It's marketed that way, but it's a lie. The job is luck, persistence, and ability. Hopefully, the degree with impart some ability, but there are no guarantees.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 14 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

8 year and going. 2 years in the industry already, so I have school and irl experience. I transfered and basically had to restart my degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:29 AM

I only got an Associates degree, it took me about 2 years to complete. Most of my work comes through my experience rather than my degree though I've had to bring myself up from the bottom.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

3 years Information Systems and Management, B.Com.

Generally in our market Downunder, which is predominately business development, a degree will get you a seat at the table, to advance its all about runs on the board and business knowledge. I would suggest looking seriously at Business Analysis/Business Intelligence as a future proof move for your career, takes you out of tech specific and the powers that be love it.

Am about to embark on a Master of Information Technology degree, figure minimum for that will be five years part time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

POPULAR

I suppose I might get a CS degree some day.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Even my shadow haven't reached the CS degree, Had a 2 year diploma in CS and now I am doing a 1 year program where I can re-learn everything because I had been out of practice for far too long and just realized it recently that this is where I am suppose to be.

I might get a degree after I get a job as a programmer and things settle down. Because no matter how people make it sound like they didn't have a degree yet they got into the IT, I look at the job postings and many of them would require you to have a Bachelors Degree(at least.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostNitewalkr, on 25 August 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Because no matter how people make it sound like they didn't have a degree yet they got into the IT, I look at the job postings and many of them would require you to have a Bachelors Degree(at least.)

And those almost always include a, 'or equivalent experience', statement along with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostNitewalkr, on 25 August 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

I look at the job postings and many of them would require you to have a Bachelors Degree(at least.)

Job postings are often more wish lists than reality. For any job there are must haves and would be nice. If you have the must haves, and ace the interview, education level is not a deal breaker for most places. If it sounds like you can do the job, send the resume that tells them that. Don't let the dead copy of an HR drone stop you from making the attempt.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +