3 Replies - 1427 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Computer does not POST from time to time

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:23 AM

Hello folks,

A few weeks ago my computer decided not to boot. I was just coming back from holidays and I know from experience that when I don't use it for a while it can be a bit capricious. Usually, letting it "warm up" for an hour, then turning it off and on again solves the problem.

This time it didn't work so I started removing pieces of hardware to see where it came from. It turned out to be the fault of the graphics card (msi Nvidia 580 GTX twin frozr), or so I thought. I used the motherboard's DVI port for a couple of hours because I needed to get shit done, then I tried to put the graphics card back in : it booted, the graphics card was fully functional.

Now, yesterday, same issue : the computer does not boot. I remove the graphics card, no POST, I see a red light next to the RAM, I remove most of the RAM, no more red light but still no POST. I don't know what to do, I put everything back in just to not have pieces of hardware sit on the desk. Miracle, the computer boots.

What do you think is going on ?

My apartment is quite humid and dusty for it is at the first floor and the soil is limestone. I can understand that there is a build up when I am away not cleaning and ventilating the place for a long time, but I can't explain what happened yesterday.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 15 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer does not POST from time to time

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer does not POST from time to time

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:35 AM

Well - is your box dirty? Is there build up? Crap in the crevices?
How about the thermal paste? Decent and relatively (with in 3 years) newly applied?
Any visibly bulging capacitors?
Is the power supply up to snuff and/or dirty?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi modi,

Thanks for your interest.

There is a thin layer of dust about everywhere in the case but it's the kind of dust that sticks to the components and doesn't get away with compressed air. There was some build up outside the case on the filters as usual, and some dust was indeed stuck in the graphics card's radiator, but air could still pass through.

The thermal paste is a good idea. The CPU Is probably older than 3 years and I haven't reapplied anything since I have installed it.
The graphics card is almost 5 years old and I never attempted to do any kind of maintenance apart blowing some air once in a while.

The power supply is probably the only piece of hardware I haven't inspected for dust. I will check that.

I will have to check the capacitors more seriously. Nothing seemed wrong at first glance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

OK just an update to say that everything looks OK, that temperature readings look normal, and that I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, so I guess it will remain a mystery.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1