8 Replies - 1045 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Am I being hacked or something?

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

I can't stress enough how little about networking I know. I know NOTHING. With that in mind, I will say that I have perceived an issue that may or may not be something for me to worry about, and I'm looking for advice from anyone who knows what they're talking about.

I was told that typing 'tracert google.com' into cmd would show me every step that data sent from my computer takes on it's way to google.com, so I did - just for fun and so I could take my first steps in learning about networking. The first step (or should I say 'hop'?) was an address that gives me a malware warning in my Chrome browser. I've included my CMD output and a screenshot of the associated malware warning. I have also tried this on other computers using this same network and they all yield the same result. Due to the fact Im so inexperienced with this subject matter, I dont know if this could be normal or if it's a clear sign of malicious software, but specifically this 'virginm.net' is making me suspicious.

Posted Image

So basically, I'm wondering if this is bad? If so, how bad is it? How do I fix it? And what do I learn so that I can figure this type of thing out for myself in future? Or am I just paranoid?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Am I being hacked or something?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Am I being hacked or something?

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

I would look up information about the IP by doing a Google search for 80.1.42.1 & the whois information for the domain.

Also, I wouldn't expect the fqdn to actually provide a website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:31 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 July 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

I would look up information about the IP by doing a Google search for 80.1.42.1 & the whois information for the domain.

Also, I wouldn't expect the fqdn to actually provide a website.

I did look it up but I couldn't verify any of the websites' information. It says "ISP: Virgin Media Limited", but if you go to wwwdotvirginmdotnet, you get a malware warning. The second hop on my trace route appears to go to www.virginmedia.net which seems more official, and then back to the malware one. I suppose really I'm asking whether it could be normal under any circumstances for malware warnings to come up for an address supposedly belonging to my ISP? Searching the whois reports that it is indeed virgin media, but it's not a site owned by virgin media that I'm using to check so that doesnt verify anything for me properly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

I'm fairly convinced now that this is not a problem. Could I please have this post removed as I don't think it will be useful for anyone else. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

We don't remove posts upon request.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 24 July 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

We don't remove posts upon request.

Sorry but I couldn't see any way to remove it myself?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

There isn't one built into the system. It prevents folk from coming in, asking a question on their homework, and then deleting all the effort and energy other folks expended to help them in some misguided way of 'cheating' so their teachers don't find out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

Even if you close it, then you don't help other people who are having the same problem. For instance, I can probably tell you why you are getting these messages on different PC's, and teach you a little about networking along the way.
My guess is that you are using a anti-virus(or other scanner) that scans for malicious links. Sometimes these links, or sites, are not malicious themselves, but may have ads on their pages that will link you to malicious sites that have been flagged previously.
Tracert shows you all the hops starting from your computer, to your ISP, to their ISP (whoever they are getting extra bandwidth from if any) and so on.
Try doing other sites, such as this site. google whois followed by dreamincode.net and tracert that. You will get a different result.

I hope I helped you learn something new today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hey, thanks! I had figured it might be a false positive too. This was quite a long time ago though, and I've since deleted the screenshot that showed my traceroute. Incidentally that's the only reason I was attempting to delete the thread. From you I have learned that my ISP are getting "extra bandwidth" from other places? Cool!

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 28 December 2016 - 09:10 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1