Is my plan realistic? Need advice.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 2534 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2016 - 02:37 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is my plan realistic? Need advice.

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:19 AM

Hey guys! Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but it is freelance related.

Let me explain my situation. I have a chronic condition which makes working typical jobs and even leaving my house very difficult. I currently live at a house I inherited from my grandmother. Due to my condition I get financial support from my government. That combined with the money I also have saved up means that I'm pretty set for the foreseeable future. But I would love to work. I'd like to contribute to society rather than be a complete drain due to my condition. So I asked myself, what type of work could I do from my home? Programming came to mind. I looked into, found this forum and made up my mind. I wanna work as a freelance programmer.

My plan in short: Learn how to do programming, freelance from my home and make enough money to survive. I have no debts, and generally live frugally. I also own my own place. (Well, used to belong to my grandmother.) I'd be able to survive on 1,5k USD or so a month easy.

Here's the difficult part though. I can't really go to university, at least not physically. Which means I would have to use the internet to learn.

The question is: Where to start? If freelancing from my home is my goal, what path should I pursue? I understand that there probably isn't a universal answer here. The good news is, I don't really have a time limit. Even if it takes years before I make money, it'll be okay.

I found this interesting spreadsheet on Reddit: https://docs.google....mlview?sle=true Thoughts on it? Would going through this give me the necessary skills to freelance eventually?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is my plan realistic? Need advice.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is my plan realistic? Need advice.

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

Where to start?

I would advocate looking in the 'student', 'cubicle corner', and 'software development' sections.. plenty of similarly started posts.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 August 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

Where to start?

I would advocate looking in the 'student', 'cubicle corner', and 'software development' sections.. plenty of similarly started posts.

Thanks! Already started reading the stuff there. Any opinions on the google spreadsheet list I posted?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

I am always a proponent of "if you don't know what to study to make a faux degree then look at what an actual degree covers (preferably from various universities).. compare/contrast the topics and go from there".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Completely based on "Freelancing", I would warn that this approach is dangerous. Typically a freelancer is required to ware all the hats. You have to sell the product, you have to support the product, you have to perform the work, & you have to handle the books. This topic describes that you are coming in from the opposite end, having none of the experience, but you've chosen a profession that success requires you are expert in all of the fields.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:48 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 August 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

Completely based on "Freelancing", I would warn that this approach is dangerous. Typically a freelancer is required to ware all the hats. You have to sell the product, you have to support the product, you have to perform the work, & you have to handle the books. This topic describes that you are coming in from the opposite end, having none of the experience, but you've chosen a profession that success requires you are expert in all of the fields.

I contacted my a friend of mine who I knew studied CS in Uni, who actually turned out to be doing minor freelancing on the side. (He briefly explained that he works with websites.) According to him, if the scale of your operation is small, the administrative aspects of it are quite simple. Selling the product is of course not going to be easy, especially at the start without any previous clients / networks, but there are markets out there where you can find work quite easily, especially if you're not looking to get paid mad cash. Or that's what he said. (Again, if I could make around 1,5k USD a month, I'd be more than set.) Even if I make significantly less than that, like I already mentioned, I'm set for money anyway. I have the privilege of being able to slowly but surely work my ''way up''.

And of course I'd expect to support the product / perform the work. That's what I'm hoping for! That's what I'm looking to learn, even if it takes years. :)

Ideally I'd eventually find some personal niche that I really enjoy doing, get really good at it and then make a living out of that. What that would be, I still have no idea. But first I need to actually start with the basics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

You may be in a unique position where it really doesn't matter, you are just doing something with your time. However, there are still many hats to where when freelancing. Contracts, Cost ~ time Estimates, design, Billing, all come to a point. The more you do the more important it is, but like I said, you could be in a unique position where it doesn't really matter, I and many others would be a bit pissed off if we work several hours (sometimes several months) to have someone not pay for the work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

Plot twist - OP makes over X amount, the government turns off the bennies, and OP is now working to survive harder than before.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Generally how it works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Plot twist - OP makes over X amount, the government turns off the bennies, and OP is now working to survive harder than before.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 August 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

That's the plan eventually. Like mentioned, I'd rather provide for myself than be a drain on society. Fortunately, I can always fall back on it if I need to. I already went over the ''X'' amount once when I worked from home for the business of a relative, once that ''gig'' was up, I got back on welfare.

Anyways, does anybody have any opinions whether this list right here is a good place to start? Seems pretty comprehensive to me.

https://docs.google....mlview?sle=true
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

Yes your plan is realistic, you should search for more opinions on https://www.google.com/ .
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

Suggesting google.com? Come on now!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

I know that this topic has been discussed several times but based on your condition, I thought this may help.

MIT has Open Course Wares that you can look in to, free of charge and find out where to start.

Usually, so far I've seen people start with HTML, CSS and JS and than they move on to the programming languages such as C++, C#, Java, etc.

MIT Opencourseware

Hacker Rank has a 30 day programming course in almost any known language.
There was a course regarding freelance front end work at code college, the instructor's name is Brad Hussey. Who would take you from start to finish and there is some php that he offers so I am guessing, he teaches the back end as well.

They will give you one chapter of programming that contains, what the chapter is all about, and ask you to resolve a small problem. You can look in to the discussions for guidance as well.

You can also look in to Code College. Recently He had a course on "How to Freelance." The deadline was about last night, but do expect that to be on his website soon. ( I hope.) There are other freelance tutorials by other instructors on this website as well including "Wordpress.org for freelancers."

I hope this helps.

This post has been edited by Nitewalkr: 31 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 August 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Suggesting google.com? Come on now!

& 20 days later...

"Hey, I know you posted this almost a month ago, but look on google you fucking retard."

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +