2 Replies - 1834 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

GMaps.NET. Does this even work?

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

I have been looking for a good mapping api for WPF projects for work, and the only thing that I can find for free is GMaps.NET. I tried to great a simple app to test it, and I have had nothing but problems. To start with, there is zero documentation on it. In addition, you can't add the object to the toolbox in VS 2015.

Is this supported at all? From my reading I would say no.

Anyone know of a good free map package that will allow me to specify a start location, destination, and arrival time to receive a departure time?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GMaps.NET. Does this even work?

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GMaps.NET. Does this even work?

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Google maps has a free plan.
https://developers.g...cing-and-plans/

Basically if your app is free then their use is free.
If you're getting paid for your app then they expect to be paid for their work.
Seems pretty fair to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GMaps.NET. Does this even work?

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

View Postaidenkael, on 19 August 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

that will allow me to specify a start location, destination, and arrival time to receive a departure time?

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 19 August 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Google maps has a free plan.
https://developers.g...cing-and-plans/

From what I have seen, specifying an arrival time with Google Maps is only available for the premium subscribers. I will give it a try to double check!

EDIT:

So I took another look at the API, and even if that would work, the google API does not allow you to specify an arrival time while driving. Only in transit.

From Google API

For requests where the travel mode is transit: You can optionally specify one of departure_time or arrival_time. If neither time is specified, the departure_time defaults to now (that is, the departure time defaults to the current time).
For requests where the travel mode is driving: You can specify the departure_time to receive a route and trip duration (response field: duration_in_traffic) that take traffic conditions into account. This option is only available if the request contains a valid API key, or a valid Google Maps APIs Premium Plan client ID and signature. The departure_time must be set to the current time or some time in the future. It cannot be in the past.

EDIT:

Preliminary look at MapQuest (who actually knew they were still around? Be honest!), may have what I need.

FROM MapQuest

Date/Time Routing gives the user the ability to specify the time and date of a route, thus compensating for lanes that are HOV at specific times, timed-turned restrictions, and seasonal or specific day of the week closures.

This post has been edited by aidenkael: 20 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1