10 Replies - 479 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Going off to College...LInux VPN?

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

so i'm going of to college in a week or so
and my old man says i should get a vpn for the Linux machine he got me for school.

Can you suggest a free VPN, please free.
mint18 Cinm.

also: trading clean xbox1 for a PocketCHIP... :)/>/>

tx's!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Going off to College...LInux VPN?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Going off to College...LInux VPN?

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Why would you need a VPN for school, or even one specifically for a linux box?
What have you looked into for 'free vpn'?

We really do not support trading here.
Why would you trade a $300 xbox one for $70 toy?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

What the heck is your problem?

Why don't you keep your rude comments and Laundry list of questions to yourself.

there is no reason to be rude. i come here to ask questions and not ti be bullied by you and jerks like you!

I would refer this to a moderator if i knew how. stop it!!

You know what i'll leave myself and go ask my questions where they're welcome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Wow.. Chill, dude. There is no bullying or rudeness involved. I was looking for more information to better help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:26 PM

Yea right!!
how would i know anyof that?

first of all just cuz im going of to college doesn't mean i'll be on the school's network and definately doesn't mean it's the only network i would be on even if i did use it. (thats obvious and im 18 - so that question, and the otheres that share it's theme, is almost certainly meant to be rude)

anytime someone asks the same question you just asked them (which is what you did) it's a sign of uncivil behavior.
and any xbox one trades-in for $100 bucks and i wouldn't mine the trade because of the immediate availability of the PocketCHIP (this is also common knowledge and obvious).

Now that your failed attempt to bully me has failed maybe YOU should leave this thread alone.

it would be nice if i could get someone serious to help me with my questions.
Was This Post Helpful? -5
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Wow.. I am not sure what over the top sensitivity training has been ramrodded down your life, but you need to dial it back and learn to interact with folks in a more real world way. Your over 'triggered' reaction, and hyperbolic cries of abuse, are not needed, and only serve to cloud issues when there is actual, legitimate, abuse involved. Neutral conversation does not mean negative or bad conversation. Hopefully college will dial you back to reality.

Again - there is no bullying involved when someone is asking clarification.

Someone told you to use a VPN.. okay.. did they say why? In what capacity? Do you know what a VPN does? Anything along those lines? I am trying to gauge your level of knowledge on the topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

WOW the current generation is sensitive!!!

Here is your rude comment, You NEED school to actually learn what bullying is! Or maybe daddy can teach you? Asking questions is not rude NOR bullying, unless you are 18 apparently. Skip school join the military and let your balls drop there, you OBVIOUSLY need that to happen before you are exposed to the real world of adult conversation.

You 'old man' says you need a VPN? Why? If he sends you with a Linux box, he knows a thing or two, I am guessing? Did you happen to ask him about VPN's? You can get one for $50 a year, so why free?

And keep the Xbox, you will have plenty of time to play in the dorms, and better that then passed out with campus security.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

I always enjoy a good game of "someone suggested something, so strangers please be experts".

Your old man suggested it, ask the old man.

Also, topic is about Linux VPNs, not about College. Moving to * Computer Support -> Software -> Linux *
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

View PostAmericanPi, on 21 August 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

I would refer this to a moderator if i knew how. stop it!!

Just FYI- an Admin is a moderator. Let's also dial it back to professional levels. Modi is trying to be helpful and ascertain where you are. You are stomping your feet and crying "bullying." It's neither moving the conversation forward nor helping us better assist you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostAmericanPi, on 21 August 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

Can you suggest a free VPN, please free.

Not a good one.

VPNs are all about privacy. You're trusting the VPN provider to protect your online privacy, vs trusting whoever provides your internet.

How much trust would you put in a free VPN? Setting up a VPN provider isn't cheap, so how are they making a profit from their free service? (Perhaps by selling your private info to advertisers?)

On balance, I'd probably trust my ISP/school/workplace above a VPN service who's motives are questionable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

"Free" and "good" VPN are probably mutually exclusive. Before you even worry about a VPN you need to ask a question: will a VPN work at all on the network you'll be using? Your phone data or home network are about as permissive as it gets. But if you're a node on a business, or campus, network some activities are actively discouraged if not impossible.

I would suggest getting to campus, getting your bearings, and figuring out what you need. Ask someone who isn't a freshman, as the best source of knowledge for what you're tying to do should be local.

View PostAmericanPi, on 21 August 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

What the heck is your problem?

Why don't you keep your rude comments and Laundry list of questions to yourself.

This is getting framed as the worst response, ever. Successfully asking for aid is generally facilitated by being civil to those nice enough to offer it. Even if they ask what you think is the most inane thing imaginable, it's your job to make your desires clear without putting off your potential source of information. Even if they offer zero help, others with the information you desire will choose to offer aid based on your response to prior efforts.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1