2 Replies - 4746 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2007 - 07:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Swing GUI design and work flow question

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hello,

I've been programming for about 4 years now. As just a way to get a better feel I'm redoing a project that i had in my Software engineering class in which we were given a bunch of requirements and to make a Kids game dealing with numbers. The question i have is this: When I make a string of GUI's is it normal to make the next Gui that should appear in order in the previous GUI's actionPerformed method? Is that a normal control of flow for GUI's. For instance my startUp GUI goes to either Create new user or Login page depending on what the user wants to do, so is it totally ok for me to just make those GUI's in startUP's actionPerformed? I'm just in the beginning of making this, but I want to hear your input. I an agile programmer so hopefully it'll be to my benefit that I didn't go to far already.

thnx

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Swing GUI design and work flow question

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Swing GUI design and work flow question

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

Sure that would be the ideal situation. If you present the user with a startup GUI screen with two buttons (one for create new user and one for login) you want to launch your next GUI based on the button they click. If they click create new user, it would call the startup's actionPerformed method, detect which button was pressed and launch the appropriate GUI screen.

That fits in with the ideal workflow. A user expects to hit a specific button to go to a specific screen. It is natural and automatically expected by the user when they see the button. They know that clicking a button launches an action or takes them to a different screen.

On the create new user screen, you again might have a button which will call that form's actionPerformed to launch the login screen. Since they create a new user they may then want to login immediately with that user account. The flow is there and it makes sense from the user's standpoint.

Hopefully this is what you were asking. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Java Swing GUI design and work flow question

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

thats exactly what i was asking ty sir

most appreciated
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -