7 Replies - 1170 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Image Processing Application

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hello Everyone,

I need to create a software (a little app more like it) that takes in a dir or file of pictures, and allows you to resize them all to a specified size, hopefully it does the resizing for you. my question is this, how do i go about the resizing part i have never dealt with image manipulation when it comes to programming, i know c++, but this will run on windows most likely than anything else, so using specific win api's or libraries wouldnt be a problem.

Thank You!
Musya

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Image Processing Application

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Image Processing Application

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

Could someone maybe say they dont know so i dont feel completly ignored on the site?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:05 AM

I'm sure somebody will help you. I've only done this with Java, but it's not that difficult with C++ either.
Please specify the filetypes you want to deal with, because you'll need the specific libraries that can load and save them. (I know that the Windows API support BMPs, but I'm not sure if anything else is available out of the box)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

View Post1lacca, on 18 Dec, 2007 - 04:05 AM, said:

I'm sure somebody will help you. I've only done this with Java, but it's not that difficult with C++ either.
Please specify the filetypes you want to deal with, because you'll need the specific libraries that can load and save them. (I know that the Windows API support BMPs, but I'm not sure if anything else is available out of the box)

.jpeg is The most common one, I doubt I will have any other if I do i'll manually convert them, but converting 1000+ images manually sucks. It can be any library im open as long as it can run on Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• me editor am smartastic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Are you just looking to build this program because you don't want to do the manual resizing? Because you can do that in batch mode using macros in Photoshop (not sure about GIMP, but I'll look into this some more).

But back to your original question, Intel has a big library that supports the JPEG format (along with a whole lot of other stuff) that can be found here. There's an evaluation version available, in addition to the purchasable library. I haven't used it myself, but I've come across a few demo/tutorial things on the web that have used it, and it seems pretty decent.

*edit - yup, GIMP has batch mode.

This post has been edited by jjhaag: 18 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

And Irfanview has a batchmode as well, I think maybe it is the most lightweight solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

I've looked for macros on google for photoshop but no luck is called something else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• me editor am smartastic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

Well, "photoshop macro" gets a number of hits for me...but they are more often referred to in photoshop as "actions". They are run in batch processing mode. I'd go into more detail, but
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic19313.htm
ta-dah! We've got a simple tutorial on doing them right here at </DIC> ;)

It can take a few runs to figure out some of the options (especially if you want to keep the originals and save the new ones in a different directory), but otherwise it works like a charm.

If you have any problems with getting them up and running, feel free to post either here or in the graphic design forum. Graphic design gets a little more traffic than this forum, and it's probably be more closely related to your topic anyway. But either will work.

And if you do decide to make an application to do this (because, hey, why not, right?), you'll probably have some luck over in the C/C++ forum (I assume that you'd be using C++ because of what you put in your first post).

Hope that helps, and that you get all those pics resized.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1