Installation frustration with Ubuntu

• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 1093 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Installation frustration with Ubuntu

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I am getting annoyed at trying to find help for anything with Ubuntu. I google a question and I get an answer like this:

"Oh, this is so simple, just type in sudo -x chio ./fniosd.fjvc and you're done.'

I do so, and it doesn't work. So I click on the next entry, and that doesn't work.

Now I'm not a complete noob, I have studied the UNIX command line, but I am by no means an expert. I would, however, like to be able to install some programs every now and then. Searching for how to install a program on ubuntu, ALWAYS comes up with questions from people about how do it, and some vague answers like the one above that never wants to work. Searching for how to use ubuntu is a little vague and seems to turn up some very general results. I can't seem to find a simple guide that can help me. I don't know. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms or something, but this is really starting to annoy the heck out of me.

Can anyone please provide me with some help, or some links to where I can get some help with this please?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Installation frustration with Ubuntu

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Installation frustration with Ubuntu

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

What do the logs say?
What is the output of sudo -l?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

That is exactly the kind of answer I am trying to avoid. This is not a specific problem with a specific program. Every single time I want to install something I come up against this thing. There doesn't seem to be any kind of guide to how to do this on your own. It seems every time I want to do anything with this OS I need to ask a million questions. Then it doesn't work, but I am referred to another place where I can do something that will allow me to do that thing.

Where can I get a how to guide for actually using Ubuntu that isn't written for someone who already knows how to use Ubuntu?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

Typically newer version books with good reviews are a place to start.

Example:
https://www.amazon.c.../dp/0134513428/

Alternatively there's the desktop guide.
https://help.ubuntu....help/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

I don't use Ubuntu myself but I would have thought articles like these contain very useful information:

How do I install applications in Ubuntu?
InstallingSoftware

But it also depends on the application. Some will have preferred methods of installation, and offer instructions, particularly when there are dependencies involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostAtharron, on 01 September 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

That is exactly the kind of answer I am trying to avoid.

Based on the following, is my reason for going to the logs.

View PostAtharron, on 01 September 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

"sudo -x chio ./fniosd.fjvc and you're done.'

I do so, and it doesn't work. So I click on the next entry, and that doesn't work.

Now I'm not a complete noob, I have studied the UNIX command line
where I can get some help with this please?

Just stating that you don't want that answer, doesn't mean your answer isn't there. If you are unable, or are unwilling to look at the logs, then I'm not sure how to suggest to you to solve installation issues, on a single or general level.

It could be anything from permissions, to drive space, to architecture (32-bit/64-bit), to requirements.

"I want to install something on ubuntu, it doesn't work" isn't much to go on. Check the logs.

Additionally I will point out that you provided an execution on a file. Generally blindly installing software (especially on Ubuntu) is going to involve the package manager. In the case of Ubntu it's going to be apt-get or Debian's pkg install.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

Additionally I will point out that you provided an execution on a file. Generally blindly installing software (especially on Ubuntu) is going to involve the package manager. In the case of Ubntu it's going to be apt-get or Debian's pkg install.

Sorry, but you're assuming I know what these terms are. I don't. This is the kind of problem I tend to have with Ubuntu. I ask a question, and then I have to look up a hundred definitions, then I need to carry out two hundred other operations in order to use said definitions, by which time I've forgotten what it was I wanted to do.

You also say check the logs, but I don't know how to do that, nor do I know what I'd be looking for if I did. The problem isn't with your advice, it's that I don't know how to use Ubuntu, but most answers to specific, or even general questions, already assume I do. It's frustrating.

This post has been edited by Atharron: 01 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

& when people assume one don't know anything, they get upset. Can't win :)

Logs are generally in /var/log/, I first check message :
Open a command terminal, tail -f /var/log/message, this will print output in live time as the file is written to. Then in a separate terminal window, run your install command.

After messages, you can look for the most recent written to log : ls -lt /var/log/ | head -10 <- this shows the 10 most recent written to files. If you package installer logs somewhere else, check there. You read the README, yes?

Package managers differ between distributions. Where Ubuntu uses apt-get, CentOS/RH uses yum, & there are others. So while you say "Ubuntu", you really mean Linux, because this is going to be a problem with any distribution that you use.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct installer for your architecture? Are you running 32bit or 64bit version of Linux? The software must match.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 September 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

& when people assume one don't know anything, they get upset. Can't win :)/>/>

Very true. But most things I see on how to use Ubuntu fall into one of two categories: either you need a degree in computing to understand even the simplest explanations; or it only tells you how to understand the very basics, going online, playing music, using the software centre, things that can be easily discovered by anyone who's used Windows or OSX for five minutes. Which is great and all, but then you encounter a problem and are referred to help from the first category.

Logs are generally in /var/log/, I first check message :
Open a command terminal, tail -f /var/log/message, this will print output in live time as the file is written to. Then in a separate terminal window, run your install command.

After messages, you can look for the most recent written to log : ls -lt /var/log/ | head -10 <- this shows the 10 most recent written to files. If you package installer logs somewhere else, check there. You read the README, yes?

Package managers differ between distributions. Where Ubuntu uses apt-get, CentOS/RH uses yum, & there are others. So while you say "Ubuntu", you really mean Linux, because this is going to be a problem with any distribution that you use.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct installer for your architecture? Are you running 32bit or 64bit version of Linux? The software must match.

I just pressed the only download button there.

TBH, while I appreciate your help, and especially for dumbing it down for me, I'm not too fussed about installing this particular thing (in fact now that I recall, I think I did manage to install it, but then it wouldn't run). This thread was little more than a rant about the annoyance's of trying to do anything with the OS, and asking for something that would allow me to better understand it. I can see the power of having an open system, but Linux really is not user friendly, and I can never recommend it to any average user.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostAtharron, on 01 September 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

but Linux really is not user friendly, and I can never recommend it to any average user.

Did you read the README file?

I ASSURE you it's included. Linux is very user friendly. Read, replicate, read the logs. It's not point & click friendly. That's why Windows has been so successful.

Best of luck to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

... but it's Ubuntu.. the UI is _MADE_ for point and click skill set transference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:24 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 September 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

View PostAtharron, on 01 September 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

but Linux really is not user friendly, and I can never recommend it to any average user.

Did you read the README file?

I ASSURE you it's included. Linux is very user friendly. Read, replicate, read the logs. It's not point & click friendly. That's why Windows has been so successful.

Best of luck to you.

README file only has info related to how to use the program once it's up and running. The file that appears to be the actual programme seems to be a python file. I double click on it and it comes up with a text file. I search how to run python on Ubuntu and it tells me to do stuff that doesn't work. That is not what I would call user friendly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Sounds a little like baby duck syndrome ;)

Is Ubuntu promoted as user-friendly? Someone suggested the term computer-user friendly as more appropriate.

Someone else also suggested that Xubuntu might be considered for someone coming from Windows (although it would be a hassle to uninstall/install).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:19 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 02 September 2016 - 02:42 AM, said:

Sounds a little like baby duck syndrome ;)/>/>/>/>

Nope. I grew up with Windows, and I migrated to OSX a few years ago and found that to be much easier. Now Windows can often be a pain for me.

Is Ubuntu promoted as user-friendly? Someone suggested the term computer-user friendly as more appropriate.

Yup. Everywhere I go, everyone says how wonderful Linux is, and how everyone should be using it because it's just so easy. I actually googled 'Linux is not user friendly' and found an article from someone asking people to prove that it isn't. The fact that I have to spend hours trying to install and run what should be a simple program every time I find something interesting means it is not user friendly. You know how many programs I've managed to install that I found online as opposed to the software centre? Zero. None. Absolutely nothing. And whenever I want help, they always give me different answers, none of which seem to work.

For reference, this is the programme I was trying to install: CreBS

It says to extract the file. Which I did. It says to double click on the install file. Which I did. It then says to choose 'Run'. But there's no button that says 'run'. Instead, I get a text file that says how to install it through the terminal. So I follow the instructions and it says I will find it in usr/local, but instead I find it in usr/local/bin. I double click that and it comes up with some code. So I google how to run the code and I do this:

[email protected]:/usr/local/bin$ python crebs.py
python: can't open file 'crebs.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
[email protected]:/usr/local/bin$ python crebs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "crebs", line 38, in <module>
    from crebs.main import main
  File "../share/crebs/lib/crebs/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk

I have zero idea of what any of that means, and I have a little knowledge of computing. I dread to think how someone with no knowledge would deal with this situation.

It has recently occurred to me that every single person who has ever recommended Linux to me has been tech savvy. Not one average layperson has said they found it better than other options. In order for something to be user friendly for simple things such as installing and running a programme, I tend to ask myself, 'Can my dad achieve this task?'. If the answer is no, then it is not user friendly.

I'm sorry for my ranting, but my frustration with this OS is reaching critical levels. I want to learn how to use it, but when people try to promote it as easy to use, but neglect to mention that it requires an incredibly steep learning curve to get to that ease of use, I get quite irate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• say what now
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

That page is from 2010 and there is a comment further down from 4 years ago that says "In Ubuntu 12.04 Crebs does not work". I would find something more recent. (It's a slideshow, there's probably lots of them.)

Variety?

Installation on Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install variety

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +