Installation frustration with Ubuntu

• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 1027 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Installation frustration with Ubuntu

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

Bloody hell, this is a nightmare. I googled how to rotate wallpapers and that was one of the first that came up, so I foolishly assumed that it would still be relevant. I understand this is a developer's problem and nothing to do with the OS, but it doesn't half make things that much more difficult.

I will check out the one you suggested and pray I get better results. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:19 AM

A Developer's problem? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:53 AM

Linux in general, is not marketed for those with indepth knowledge of systems. Disliking windows for being windows is one thing:

I grew up with Windows, and I migrated to OSX a few years ago and found that to be much easier. Now Windows can often be a pain for me.

Pains come in many forms. Like I said, you have to understand the system to really leverage it. Mac is great, for users that want to be bound by specific things and do things how Apple wants to allow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How are you trying to install it, and on what? If you have access to the terminal, you have to have something you are running against. Are you setting up a Virtual Machine, a new (reformatted or other) computer?

Every install I have had was literally, insert the media, turn on system, change bios to read media first, run. Boot setup comes up.

If that isn't your process, what are you doing to install it?

Misread the question.

What are you trying to install and in what medium?

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 02 September 2016 - 06:55 AM
Reason for edit:: Opps

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

Old apps not working on newer vesions of an OS? Say it ain't so!

Yeah - with Linux, like any other OS, you still need to be cognizant of versions, comments on what runs, etc.

---
Are you not understanding the whole terminal bit, and why you need it? There's one giant repository folks use called 'lanchpad'. Folks upload versions, tweaks, and new opens source projects there. The three lines to get an app are pretty simple to understand. 1. Get the actual code. 2. Check for an update. 3. install.

https://en.wikipedia...chpad_(website)

http://www.makeuseof...logy-explained/

Then there are ways to use the UI.. like, say, the "Ubuntu Software Center".

https://www.youtube....h?v=AIO5po6y-HM

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter

http://www.ghacks.ne...a-double-click/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 September 2016 - 11:12 PM, said:

... but it's Ubuntu.. the UI is _MADE_ for point and click skill set transference.

Yes. & the OP is explicitly installing from the command line (& outside of the package manger).

OS : "Here, we setup all these nicities & automated goodness"
User : "Fuck you, I do what I want."
User : "Your shit sucks, too difficult, wish it was easier!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

I'm only using the command line because whenever I ask for help, everyone tells me to use that. Literally no one ever says to use any other way. Every. Single. Time. If you do not understand the command line instructions, then you do not know what you are doing, you cannot help yourself, and you cannot know whether the advice you are reading will do what you want it to or wipe your entire hard drive, until you spend time to learn it.

If there is another way, then please tell me. If I download a package, how do I install it without the command line?

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 02 September 2016 - 08:35 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostAtharron, on 02 September 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

If there is another way, then please tell me.

The answer to this falls under : "What are you trying to install?" Which every time I have asked is met with : "This isn't a specific question".

The thing about Linux (not Ubutnu...) is that every situation is going to be unique. If I write a project using any language, python, a shell script, c, php, you must understand that the implementation to your system is going to be based on the instructions provided. You must un-learn the Windows "next, next, next" thought process of replication in any situation. & secondly, if you are asking here, please stop benching on Q&A gathered elsewhere. Stop using answers or expectations from other forums or communities as difficulty from the answers provided here.

Quiet honestly, either ask for help with something here, or go back to where you got shitty responses. I'm not understanding how to be helpful, because anytime I reply it's met with frustrations you brought in from somewhere else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:19 AM

Man, bummer someone didn't point out a collected center for software installed on Ubuntu.

Maybe a software...center?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 02 September 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

View PostAtharron, on 02 September 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

If there is another way, then please tell me.

The answer to this falls under : "What are you trying to install?" Which every time I have asked is met with : "This isn't a specific question".

The thing about Linux (not Ubutnu...) is that every situation is going to be unique. If I write a project using any language, python, a shell script, c, php, you must understand that the implementation to your system is going to be based on the instructions provided. You must un-learn the Windows "next, next, next" thought process of replication in any situation. & secondly, if you are asking here, please stop benching on Q&A gathered elsewhere. Stop using answers or expectations from other forums or communities as difficulty from the answers provided here.

Quiet honestly, either ask for help with something here, or go back to where you got shitty responses. I'm not understanding how to be helpful, because anytime I reply it's met with frustrations you brought in from somewhere else.

I apologise. I'm just frustrated is all. With regards to the specificity of the problem, I consider it to be very annoying and inconvenient, and not very user friendly to have to learn something new every time you want to achieve a similar task. And no where does anyone really mention this. Added to this, I am reluctant to ask a question because I often see people being referred to Google, or to check a similar question has been posted before. I understand this is to prevent time wasters, but it is annoying. And there I am going again. Sorry.

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 September 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

Man, bummer someone didn't point out a collected center for software installed on Ubuntu.

Maybe a software...center?

From which I can only get a limited amount of software. Are you telling me there's a way to use it to install packages downloaded elsewhere?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Once again it comes to what are you trying to install?

Windows and Mac generally come with installers for you to use. Linux packages may come with one, may be just a file, may require you to compile it. it depends.

So, what are you trying to install, AGAIN?

Linux is only user friendly for the people that understand it, in my experience. It isn't meant for people that prefer Windows or Mac.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#26 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Added to this, I am reluctant to ask a question ..

This is a forum. You must ask a question.

If the question is answered satisfactorily already then a link will typically be provided to that answer, rather than needlessly repeating the content.

This isn't SO, we don't hunt around for duplicate questions. (Canonical answers are more likely to be found in the bounteous tutorials and snippets.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

From which I can only get a limited amount of software. Are you telling me there's a way to use it to install packages downloaded elsewhere?

Again.. the package information is on Launchpad. It's the PPA. The video outlines things as does that links I dropped.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

Case in point - I just installed the latest and greatest of Ubuntu.. Clicked on the software center - hint it's called 'Ubuntu Software' - typed in the name 'variety' and clicked install. Bada bing, bada boom. Zero issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

Shit, you Guru l33t haX0r!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +