2 Replies - 1032 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need to find a well documented audio format.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hi,
I am posting this in the A/V forum because it's a question about audio formats that is not language specific. I want to build a program that can build an audio file byte by byte. I have had serious trouble finding an audio file format that is well enough documented in completeness and clarity that I can figure out how to specify it in code. I am hoping to find a format that is supported by most major operating systems and I would prefer a lossless format but will gladly accept lossy. Could anyone point me in the direction of a specification?

Thank You for Reading This.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need to find a well documented audio format.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need to find a well documented audio format.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

I want to build a program that can build an audio file byte by byte.

Please elaborate on this. Why, to what end, usage, etc?

Seems like MS has WAV files explained pretty well.

https://blogs.msdn.m...the-wav-format/
https://blogs.msdn.m...-in-a-wav-file/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Need to find a well documented audio format.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

In Re to modi123_1,
I am trying to develop my own algorithms to synthesize voices and add sound effects to videos as well as to games. Writing my own software to write exactly what I'm looking for to a file seems much faster than working with a third party program, especially if I want to use an algorithm that does a lot of complex work much faster than I can manually edit it.
Further, while there may be some Java or C extensions (those are the languages I am most familiar with) that can do the audio encoding for me, I was thinking about developing some applications later where for particularly large computations the job was divided across multiple processors. For that, knowing the elementary steps to writing the audio format could be very helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1