12 Replies - 1685 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can I be a software developer if I study Electronics engineering?

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

I'd really like to become a software engineer / computer scientist. The problem is my grades are just not enough to join the computer science faculty at the university. However, my grades are enough to study Electronics engineering. I assume learning to code by yourself is something you can do, and probably those who studied CS at university, study new languages by themselves. But, if I get a degree in Electronics engineering, do you think it is achievable to also become a computer scientist or work in it?

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can I be a software developer if I study Electronics engineering?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can I be a software developer if I study Electronics engineering?

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

Sure.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:45 PM

Are you not interested in Electronics Engineering? Are there not other institutions where you can study what drives you the most?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

I do really like everything that has to do with computers, but I think I am drawn more to the software part.
Electrical engineering touches more the hardware aspect, which is too interesting, but I believe all the physics is less for me.

About the other institutes: They're not universities, but technical colleges, where I think the level is considered lower in terms of education level
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

Are the levels really that low? You might investigate. Besides which, you might excel there because you will be doing something that you're really interested in.

If you stick with the EE then you'll probably want to ensure that you include as many programming and (applicable) maths/CS modules as you can.

Anyway, just spit-balling (as they say). It's your canoe ;)

Also, have you spoken to the University? They may be amenable to a combined degree of some description.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

THank you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hi,

My background is in electronics/computer engineering. In an electronics engineering program, you basically will study the hardware parts of a computer, i.e. circuits etc more than the software part. Also, you will be learning lots of maths (I took five math courses) and this will train your logical thinking skills.

So the answer to the question "Can I be a software developer with an electronics engineering background?" is: YES !

Many of my friends with the same background as me, are developing software related to computer and electronic devices. However, I choose not to be a software developer/electronics engineer but pursued an academic career. So, I personally feel that with an electronics engineering background, you have many options ahead of you. Good luck !

This post has been edited by tarmizi_adam2005: 07 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

Hello,

My background is in Business Administration with a concentration in Management Information Systems and i'm a software developer. I think you would do fine with a degree in EE. Figuring out how to solve the problem is the hard part. Writing the code, not so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

Thank you guys for the replies
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

I have a MS in Electrical Engineering and I write software / firmware for embedded systems for a living.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostjavaJarrett, on 07 September 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

Hello,

My background is in Business Administration with a concentration in Management Information Systems and i'm a software developer. I think you would do fine with a degree in EE. Figuring out how to solve the problem is the hard part. Writing the code, not so much.

Yeah, I agree about the "figuring out how to solve the problem" part. I did study computer science, but I have worked on software development teams with people who had other majors, including physics, business, and I think also EE. I definitely saw cases where they could have benefited from more of a computer science background.

I think there are certain things you learn in Comp. Sci., such as algorithms, figuring out WHY a certain tool is the best for the job, design patterns, that might not be so apparent in other majors. It's not that you CAN'T gain those skills, but you will probably have to go out of your way a bit more to pick up those problem-solving skills and way of thinking.

I think the computer science degree helps to make you a software ENGINEER rather than just a PROGRAMMER. I've worked with both, and there are differences.

In the end, I think anyone with enough aptitude and desire can become a good software engineer, even without a comp. sci. degree, probably through self-study and maybe even working with a mentor. The cream usually finds a way to rise to the top, even without the desired degree :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:08 AM

Sure. One advice from me. Think about learning of Python programming language. Nowadays it is very demanded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

If there is one industry that is open to career changer's, then it is IT. So, you can change from electronics to software development!
The central question seems to be what you already got in skills and - if not - how you´re planning to achieve them.
It's that simple: You got the skills, you get the job.

A high-level career like a CIO got some further demands, sure.
But that doesn't affect the chances for regular developers. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1