• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 2810 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Hanging up in Firefox

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:00 AM

Is anyone else having issues with the site hanging up in Firefox?

I can browse any other site in Firefox without a problem.
I can browse DIC using Internet Explorer (Win10) without a problem.
But DIC on Firefox loads the page, I start scrolling down... Then cement. It just stops. Maybe continues scrolling down after 20-60 seconds... maybe not... Sure to lock up again shortly thereafter.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hanging up in Firefox

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hanging up in Firefox

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:17 AM

I was having an issue with google chrome yesterday evening at home, every page I went on was pretty laggy, writing typing text or even scrolling was painful.

However it seems fine now.

This post has been edited by maceysoftware: 08 September 2016 - 03:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:31 AM

Which version of FireFox are you using?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

Whatever is latest... I keep everything up to date when released.
However I'm at work now so I can't double check
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Thank you, I'll grab a recent version & take a look & follow up. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

I'll be trying this too, but next time you hit that error, can you press F12 and go to the "Console" tab of the dev tools that pop up? There might be JS error messages reported in the console that would be helpful in diagnosing this.

Edit: After testing this myself with a clean current version of Firefox, I don't get the behavior you're mentioning, but I do get a console error "TypeError: a.replace is not a function" from one of the gapi scripts.

Speaking of; holy crap there are a lot of tracking/analytics scripts. Frankly I'm glad I use an addon for Chrome that blocks all of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

I have an ad-block extension installed. Maybe its fighting something on the page... some of that abundance of Sh!te you mentioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, I use one of those, along with another addon (Disconnect) that blocks tracking scripts (which adblockers generally don't bother with) on Chrome. I keep Firefox as a "clean" browser to make sure my addons aren't interfering with something I'm developing. Privacy is important.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:29 AM

View Postmaceysoftware, on 08 September 2016 - 04:17 AM, said:

every page I went on was pretty laggy, writing typing text or even scrolling was painful.

Yep... Sounds exactly like what I was experiencing.

However right now at 3:25am Eastern the site is responsive. Probably because the entire world is over on the Apple site ordering their new iPhone7. (My order is done)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

You don't mind losing the 3.5mm jack? Seems this is going to be the most controversial iPhone release yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 09 September 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

You don't mind losing the 3.5mm jack? Seems this is going to be the most controversial iPhone release yet.

Nope. I haven't used a 1990's headphone in years. Bluetooth to my truck stereo... Living room system... Bedroom soundbar... Bluetooth over-ear headphones at work... Bluetooth earbuds for home (yard work). Dangling cables are a pain and a safety hazard.

I like active noise cancellation, and that requires power. One reason for getting away from the old analog jack is because the lightning connector supplies power. Therefore you can get a set of JBL active noise cancelling LIGHTWEIGHT earbuds that don't have to supply their own power: They get power from the lightning connection.

Companies have been making lightning earphones for a while now. Just do a search on Amazon for them.

And for those that want to still use their old fashioned earphone Apple includes a little adapter with the phone, so no problem. Even when I did use analog ear phones I still had to use a slim profile male-female pigtail just to get past the thick Otterbox shell I put my phone in. So its all the same to me.

People whinged about the MacBooks dropping the built-in CD drive too. For about year. Then they realized nobody really used it much anymore anyway. Same here. People might moan about the loss of the old-school connector - for little bit - then realize that the new generation of headphones that can take advantage of the full range of digital audio advances are REALLY nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

People whinged about the MacBooks dropping the built-in CD drive too. For about year. Then they realized nobody really used it much anymore anyway

Apples and oranges, IMO. The 3.5mm audio jack might be one of the most commonly used (and successful) connectors in the world. It's absolutely not the case that "nobody really uses it much anymore"; everyone who isn't using wireless headphones uses it. Optical media was already losing favor to downloads and flash media.

I don't begrudge people their preferences. I'm just glad there are choices for those of us that don't particularly agree with Apple's "courageous" decision. I at least wish they would have used a standard connector, like USB Type C (like they already use on their Macbooks) instead of proprietary Lightning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

To each their own. Since Apple includes a 3" adapter the connector isn't really missing. Its just moved for those that still use it. Is it really that big a deal to have an extra 3" length on your headphone cable, if you use that type of earbud? I honestly don't know what the uproar is all about. *IF* Apple was not going to include the adapter it would be different. But they are, so it seems to be a difference with no distinction to me.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 09 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Well, the current popular complaint is that the adapter (and the lightning headphones) removes the ability to charge and listen to music at the same time (like many people do at their desk at work). If the battery life is long enough that's no big deal. But to actually do that, you need a dongle and an adapter. The dongle to turn 1 port into 2, and the adapter to make one lightning port into a 3.5mm. Like I said, won't affect me. I'm an Android fan (Nexus series).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

Back on topic...

The site seems to be hanging hard again at 1930hrs on Mozilla - about 60 seconds after a page loads, plus or minus. The browser is locked so hard it doesn't respond to anything: Not diagnostic console... even exit... Eventually it will close about 45 seconds after I click the close widget or choose exit from the taskbar icon.

However at the same hour no other site is hanging. And if I open the same page in a different browser it doesn't hang. Maybe a script... Something in an advert? Something that doesn't like my ad-blocker/spam blocker/webpage malware scanner/{...} I dunno.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +