4 Replies - 547 Views - Last Post: 10 September 2016 - 08:17 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Windows form application source code protection

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:05 AM

I understand that is the controversial question, but nevertheless as minimum, what can I do easy and for free for security of my windows form application, it interests me in terms of source code protection , but not in terms of the software from illegal use for example
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Windows form application source code protection

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows form application source code protection

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:47 AM

Obfuscation, dongles, encryption, etc.. The usual set.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

It's not really controversial. Obfuscation is a thing. If you're interested in protecting your source code, that's the only way to do it. Google "free .net obfuscator" to see how many options you really have.

However, one thing I've found to be true is that people who worry about this kind of thing tend to be worried about nothing. Most people aren't interested in reverse-engineering your app, and most apps aren't worth reverse engineering. If you think yours is, by all means, obfuscate. But it adds another step to your build process and makes debugging production issues harder. So, keep that in mind.

Edit: one other technique is to move all your actual application logic to a web service, and make your application a client. Then it doesn't matter if they crack your app source code open, because all the important code is behind the web server, where nobody but you has access to it. This does mean the app has to be always-online, but it's another option.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

hello thank you for your feedback again and your answer

I absolutely agree about that people who worry about this kind of thing tend to be worried about nothing. if the intention is to spoil something, there is no guaranteed protection and therefore protect something non commercial has no sense, but is also debatable if it is something that may be harmful in use for example. but same here, bad intentions can give any useful or harmless tool bad qualities

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 September 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

Obfuscation, dongles, encryption, etc.. The usual set.

Hello, that what I'm looking for thank for support
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

I absolutely agree about that people who worry about this kind of thing tend to be worried about nothing.

To the contrary, they worry about something very real.

A company I worked for had their compiled software reverse engineered once, and knock-offs sold through-out China.
Then they found knock-off versions of the software that were clearly made by re-creating the screens, the functionality, most everything, by using our software as the 'spec sheet' for the developers. They weren't even sly about it. Everything was exactly the same except the company logo. They even kept the color scheme. Clearly trying to confuse buyers into thinking theirs was the one everyone in this niche industry recognized on sight.

Let's face it, well written software does to some degree point you at all the considerations you have to take into account. If you look at someone's configuration screen and it has values for "post event offset" it reminds the developer they need to account for additional time at the end of the event. If there is a menu option for "Export to Quickbooks" it tells the guy cloning the software that customers want that feature. So using someone else's version 4 software as a guide saves you thousands of hours and untold research as well as everything they learned in versions 1, 2, & 3. Its like dismantling a suit to make a pattern: You don't have to go through all the work to figure it out from scratch if you can just copy someone else's successful research and design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1