3 Replies - 710 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Port is closed ?

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

Heya guys.

When we're talking about networks ... yeah, I'm a little bit or more a newbie. I mean I know some important things I used in C++ network programming like what's UDP and TCP and buffers but nah ... only these.

Well, I decided to start a Minecraft (port 25565) server just for the fun ... well in the past I've made some Minecraft server but I remember that I had the same issues but at the end, it always worked !
Now I can't make it work for some reason and even if I finally do ... I want to know some important stuff.

Firstly, let's start on what I did and still the port on my static IP (192.168.X.X) is closed but when I try my global IP it's open. Well as much as I remember ... when my friends could log in my server at the past ... they had to log in at my static IP. And as much as I remember when the server finally worked ... the port on my static IP was actually Open.

I don't think I make a bad recalling but I think I remember good enough these details.

I tried to Port Forward it and Port De-forward it (if I may say), using non-static IP but nothing worked.

So how do I identify a server as global (online) and how do the local/global,static IP work and how the ports ?

I want to know the science/details behind this if anyone could help me here ... so I can fix something similar on my own in the future.

For extra details about my problem, your questions are more than welcomed !

This post has been edited by general656: 10 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Port is closed ?

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Port is closed ?

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

In general, you set up port forwarding to direct to an IP on your network when a specific port is requested. On that computer, you would have the port open and listening for traffic.

I have no experience in minecraft anything, but a webserver works in that direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

When your friends request your external IP, that's request stops at your modem. Your modem has 1 to 1 hand off to the device directly attached. If you have a router, your router needs to have forwarding rules for the port, or else it drops the request. Your non-routable ip address suggests that you are behind a router.

You should see the port requests in your routers logs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 10 September 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

I have no experience in minecraft anything, but a webserver works in that direction.

Yeah all "Server" style work in the same style. I don't see a reason not to. :P

View Postno2pencil, on 10 September 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

You should see the port requests in your routers logs.

Wow ... Perfect IDEA ! I didn't even know my Router keeps a log for these stuff !

Thanks for all the information folks !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1