7 Replies - 971 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Server has great resources but still slow

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

We use our server for hosting for multiple websites but presently the server isn't hosting more than 12 love sites. But under one single domain we have our demo area where our developers keep loading and testing various wordpress installs under the same domain. The server goes slow due to this several times. Server is a 3.2 ghz xenon processor with 8 GB ram. Is the wp slowing it down or what could be the reason?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Server has great resources but still slow

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Server has great resources but still slow

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

That's not a great resources server.

Why are your developers testing on the live server and not development servers?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Assuming that this is a linux server, look at the output of dmesg. Do you see httpd or mysql processes getting killed to free up memory?
Take a look at the output of top, what's the server load look like? Is it being used by httpd or php?
Take a look at the output of df, are one of your partitions filled up?
Lastly take a look at the output of free, what's your swap space look like?

If this is a Windows server, 8 gb of memory is a laugh.

The number of sites being hosted isn't nearly as important as the hosting platform. Using the db on the same servers the httpd server, for example, eats more resources that could be better shared amongst servers. What's the OS consuming? What else does this server do? How many users are on it? What drive architecture is it using? IDE, SATA, SCSI, higher drive rpms, & lower drive I/O are great indications of expected performance. Just using high volume storage for cheap will lead to poor overall performance. Number of sites hosted is one of the last things that I generally care about when looking at resources for a server, vs pretty much everything else. Visitors are visitors, regardless of what is being hosted. A single site that has daily hundreds of thousands of visitors vs 100 sites with no traffic is a different metric that what you've provided background on here.

Another thing to look at is your network. What is your upload speed? Are you doing this at home on a residential ISP? Are you current suffering a DDOS? Is someone else streaming videos, or playing online games?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 11 September 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

Why are your developers testing on the live server and not development servers?

That was my though as well. As a general rule, you don't develop or test things on production servers.

For one thing, the server setup is usually very different. In the PHP world, there are a lot of settings you'd want different on development servers, additional PHP modules installed (like XDebug, for example), and perhaps even some extra caching methods on a production server. (Like Varnish, although that sounds like it may be overkill in your case.)

My advice would be to develop on virtual machines, either on a machine dedicated to that, or even just on your own machine. (A WP installation doesn't require a lot of resources.) That way you can easily destroy and set up new test environments without it ever affecting anything that matters.

Then if you want to demo it to customers, try something like AWS (Amazon Web Services), where you can create throwaway live servers for a relatively small cost.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostAtli, on 11 September 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

and perhaps even some extra caching methods on a production server. (Like Varnish

Varnish, if I remember correctly, runs on the server? I use CloudFlare as a CDN. I'm sure there are others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Yea, Varnish is just a HTTP cache that sits in front of the HTTP server. There are a bunch of those out there.

It's not as extensive as CloudFlare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

Most of your inputs and questions are seriously making to think various aspects on how we are using this server.

Basically its a Centos installed server.

We are using one domain which hosts all the demo sites and being accessed by our one set of developers. Many times we try to clear the cache, stop the auto updates of the wp which is not needed for demos and we just leave them behind on our server even after completion.

I will have my team go over your comments and see how we can make it better.

Appreciate it.

We are definitely reconsidering to move to AWS as it amazing compared to various other solutions out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

View Postitechify, on 11 September 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

We are definitely reconsidering to move to AWS as it amazing compared to various other solutions out there.

That only attacks/resolves the bandwidth. There are AWS servers far smaller than 8GB memory.

My webhosting setup is a split of AWS & Digital Ocean. With AWS I use RDS, keeping the MySql instance off the hosting box. Splitting the servers & placing them behind a CDN allows redundancy on the cheap.

& of course, backup, backup, backup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1