7 Replies - 551 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Browsers' password memorisation

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hi there,

More and more websites seem to not be compatible with browsers' password memorisation, and I have no idea what's causing it. When I inspect the page, I can see a form (with a submit event), an input with the name "user" and another one with the name "password", so surely, they should be caught by the browser when I login. But no... I have sent login forms with AJAX before and it's 100% compatible so I really don't understand what could be wrong.

I don't know if it's on purpose or not (I could understand for a banking website, even though they usually don't have a standard password input) but it is VERY annoying. The "remember me" feature is not as secure, and cookies can't be synced across devices (... and I don't want them to be)

I'm using Firefox. I've just tried to login on Steam with Chrome and it doesn't seem to work with Chrome either.

What do you think ?

This post has been edited by ge∅: 11 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Browsers' password memorisation

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Browsers' password memorisation

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

I'm not sure if I follow. Your browser (which one?) doesn't have long term "remember me" when you type in a name/password to a site? That could be a plethora of things.. the site itself, ad block plugins being wonky, browser cache clearing, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

I'm talking about this feature. It exists on every browser and it is independent of the cache. I've tried with Chrome to make sure it wasn't caused by Firefox (I never use Chrome, it's up to date but there is no plugin, no weird setting, no nothing).

I'm pretty sure it comes from the sites themselves, but they are obviously working properly : I can login, I could use the "remember me" feature (even though I don't want to): they simply don't seem to allow the browser to save my login informations.

I first thought these websites could be using some non-standard way of getting the password but, as I told you, I can see a form element, inputs with standard names, the password input even has a type password and the form a submit event... if I wanted to detect a login form being submitted in a web page, this would be the perfect scenario. I can't believe the browser doesn't see it.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 11 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Well there's steps to follow..

https://support.mozi...s-are-not-saved

with this at the bottom:

Some websites do not allow for passwords to be saved for security reasons. If you have followed the steps above, but are still not prompted to save a password when logging in to a certain website, that site may have disabled password saving.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

RTFM I guess ;)
I'll look for plugins and keep you updated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:04 PM

Is it possible you've updated your password with the site, & your "remembered" password is now incorrect?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:02 AM

On websites that allow this functionality, when the saved password is incorrect, the form is still filled automatically (only with wrong credentials), and of course when you submit it you get an error but the functionality still works. The problem is upstream : I am not alerted by the browser that the password can be saved. modi must be right : Steam for example may not allow users to save their password.

I have looked it up. It seems that for a time, setting autocompletion to off on the form or the input was enough, but there has been some changes and it shouldn't work any more because the password autofill is a different feature than form autocompletion. I can see that this attribute is present in Steam's form so now I know the functionality has been intentionally disabled, but it shouldn't work and removing the attribute doesn't change anything so it must be something else.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 12 September 2016 - 04:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

Sometimes with Google Chrome, the push notification "Would you like this password saved (not exact quote)?" fails to appear in the feature if you or somebody else clicks "No, or Never for this site". Maybe this happened in your case?
I work at an ISP/ Telecom company, and I am in charge of alot of managing equipment and domains, therefore I need something safe to remember urls and passwords, so I use LastPass. It is free, and it does work pretty well. Banking sites are remembered, but weirdly, my school domain does not like it at all, lol.

This post has been edited by bigmatt267: 16 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1