1 Replies - 1347 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2016 - 04:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

One of 'those' problems

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

So this is a silly one. Sometimes, when you've been at this a long time, you can just miss the most obvious problems because they are, ummm... obvious. I'm working on a Typescript based alternative touch screen client for our automation system. Yesterday, for some reason, it just kept jumping back to the login screen every time I stopped it in the F12 debugger and then let it go again. I was looking for all kinds of subtle issues. An exception that was not handled or something maybe. Or some crazy bug that was somehow getting me back to the login screen. Or maybe the server was timing out and resetting the connect, it's a Websockets based client so a persistent connection that can be reset. But it's our own web server so I could easily debug that, and it's set up for a 2 minute (if it doesn't receive the standard WS ping/pong exchange, which the browser may still be doing even if it's in the debugger, I dunno.) But anyway, obviously I wasn't taking two minutes, so that couldn't be it.)

After almost an hour I finally realized that F5 is NOT 'go' in the F12 debugger. It's a reload key. So I was reloading the freaking thing when I was trying to start it running again after hitting a break point.

Oy vey! The mind is a powerful weapon, the problem is that sometimes it's pointing in the wrong direction.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: One of 'those' problems

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: One of 'those' problems

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

I always become amazed when you realize the complex and weird solutions you come up with when trying to solve a non-existent problem. Often times I will find other problems I didn't realize I had, while in search of fixing something that didn't need to be fixed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1