HTML to ASP.net

Need to convert an existing site...

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1036 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2007 - 12:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

HTML to ASP.net

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

I've got a mate who designed his own website for his business.
He did it in pure HTML and it looks really good, but he now wants to put a dealer login up, with different prices etc. so he turned to me. [it will therefore have database access, datasets etc]

So I'm just wondering what the best way is to change the site from HTML to ASP.net? I've never done this before as I've always worked within ASP, from scratch.

I'm not sure whether I'll have to change the whole site or just add an ASP page with prices etc. (is this even possible?)
Would I just cut and paste the HTML markup into the markup page in ASP?

What are the best practices when doing this?

Thanks for all input!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HTML to ASP.net

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HTML to ASP.net

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:55 AM

Well if he wants to convert the entire site, even the pages with non-dynamic content, then convert it a module at a time, starting with dealer login (which is similar to what I'm doing now, except I'm converting classic ASP to ASP.Net. Otherwise create the dealer login in ASP.Net and on the HTML for set the Forms Action property to your new module. Then when the dealer logs in add their dealer id to either cache, some sort of serializable object, or whatnot.

Problem: I believe if the dealer, once logged in, happens to click on a link that takes them to a pure HTML page you lose your cache or serializable object as HTML cannot read either, so maybe use a Session Variable, as viewing a pure HTML page then returning to the aspx content will not reset their session, I believe.

Just my opinion :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HTML to ASP.net

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for the ideas Psycho.
I'll try what you've said and see if I hit any other obstacles. (If I do, I'll post these issues)

[PS: sorry for the late reply - I went away for the weekend and didn't have access to the net]
:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1