Page 1 of 1

Programming to an Interface not an Implementation Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

This tutorial was taken directly from my recent blog post

You've heard this before, no doubt. And, I'm sure along with it came a long explanation. So, I'm not going to bore you with words. I'm going to show you a concrete example of exactly why it's important, using the Java Collections API.

Let's say you're coding along and decide you need to use a queue to help implement your design. No problem. You just call up the JavaDocs and find the Queue interface. Under All Known Implementing Classes, you see LinkedList and decide, "That will do." Great. You've got your queue. Let's say you declare it like so

public class SomeClass
{
  protected LinkedList<String> queue = new LinkedList<String>();
}

Now you can use it like a queue and do things like this:

queue.offer("first"); // inserts "first" into queue
queue.offer("second"); // inserts "second" into queue
queue.poll(); // removes and returns head of queue: "first"
queue.peek(); // returns but does not remove head of queue "second"

Pretty cool. But there's a problem. You knew there would be, right?

Let's assume someone extends your class. Their class will have access to the queue because you marked it protected, which is what you want (in this scenario). But because you made the queue a LinkedList reference, the subclass can do things like this:

// continuing from above example
queue.peek(); // returns but does not remove head of queue" "second"
queue.add(0, "third"); // Hey, what's it doing!?
queue.poll(); // returns and removes head of queue: "third"

So what happened? Well, this code used the add method to add the String "third" to the head of the queue, which is not normal queue (FIFO: First In First Out) behavior. Why was this allowed to happen? Because we programmed to an implementation, not an interface. We made the queue variable a LinkedList reference rather than a Queue reference. And LinkedList implements many interfaces, including List, which is where the add method came from. You might be saying to yourself, "Why not just make queue private and then create offer, pool, and peek delegate methods? You could do that...

public boolean  offer(String s)
{
  return queue.offer(s);
}
public String poll()
{
  return queue.poll();
}
...etc

...but it's much more simple to do this:

public class SomeClass
{
  protected Queue<String> queue = new LinkedList<String>(); // now a Queue reference variable
}

This will ensure that only the methods of the Queue interface are acessible.

This example might seem contrived, but I hope it demonstrated the point of interface over implementation.

This post has been edited by Programmist: 19 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Page 1 of 1