tying a web site together

html, css, php, javascript, and what?

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1379 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2007 - 08:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

tying a web site together

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

Im planning a blog/wiki type website.

It will have several pages, and I would like them all to have the same look.

Im not sure how to say it... like on this site how there is always the nav bar, and the title but the content in the middle changes.

What is the best way to do this?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: tying a web site together

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: tying a web site together

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

You can use template engine for example Smarty ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

I'm going to have to second the Smarty idea, great little peice of code. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's much simpler than writing your own skinning engine, especially when you want to get the wheels turning and get some content on your site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

you could also use a CMS like joomla or drupal, could be a bit easier to pick up if your not that experienced with coding
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_ch__*

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

Try googling XSLT... The tech is said to be nearly impossible to figure out, but once you do, you're forever enlightened.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

Would CSS not be your answer if you only wanted a static navbar and dynamic content?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

CSS wouldn't do much for the means of dynamic content though.

This post has been edited by Jody LeCompte: 20 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

thanks for the replies, smarty need to be installed on the server right? I wont be running my own server so i dont think i can do that.

Wow, I didnt know that css could provide static content :/, and didnt know what drupal and joomla were, sry im new to web dev :)

supersssweety, I had a look at your drupal site, and thats exactly the kind of thing I want. Ill be looking over it, thanks.

Im a pretty experienced coder, but have never got into web development before, as you can imagine I have picked up html/javascript/php pretty easily, but the thing Im having trouble with is actually tying them all together and making a web site. There are so many recources for building a web page, but it seems like there are none on building a whole site!

So thanks guys, it great to have people to just bounce questions off
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

Smarty doesn't have to be installed. It's just a a collection of PHP libraries, and you only have to include a single file into your php scripts to use it.

http://smarty.php.net/

EDIT: Yeah, the first website is always a pain because in learning the languages theres really not any "This is how you make a website" it's all "This is how you show processing time" or "This is how you make your navigation bar yellow" and when it comes around to putting the finalized product together it can be a bit overwhelming the first few times.

This post has been edited by Jody LeCompte: 20 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

View PostJody LeCompte, on 20 Dec, 2007 - 11:24 AM, said:

Smarty doesn't have to be installed. It's just a a collection of PHP libraries, and you only have to include a single file into your php scripts to use it.

http://smarty.php.net/

EDIT: Yeah, the first website is always a pain because in learning the languages theres really not any "This is how you make a website" it's all "This is how you show processing time" or "This is how you make your navigation bar yellow" and when it comes around to putting the finalized product together it can be a bit overwhelming the first few times.

thanks, at least its not just me :) I must say though that web development seems so far to be a whole lot more exciting than developing local programs.

So, I've been looking at smarty, and at CMS systems. Smarty looks cool, it seems pretty easy to get started with it, and will do what I was looking for fine. But then I started looking at joobla and drupal, which look to have a lot of potential in creating a really functional web site.

I have gathered that joomla has less of a learning curve and is faster to set up than drupal, so I would probably use joomla.

Right now i'm trying to decide between Joomla and Smarty. What do you guys think of these technologies? If I use joomla (or smarty?) will I find it harder to integrate my own php scripts? Once again thanks for your help, it really makes things a lot easier for me.

EDIT: i notice that joomla is on the verge (rc4) of releasing 1.5, which seems to be a complete re-write, correct? will it be a lot of trouble if I start my site on the current version, then have to upgrade?

This post has been edited by c0mrade: 20 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

alright, I installed joomla rc4 on my local test server, and it seems great!

once I get my site up and running, maintaining will be so easy, you can log into joomla as admin from anywhere and add articles with no coding.

The thing is, my site will a wiki, kida...

it will allow registered users to submit an article, the user will choose which category the article will be put in, and so on. Then other users rate the article and write reviews. I will start a new thread about this, thanks for all the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

It really depends on how rough or smooth an upgrade would be. It all depends on the developers attention to detail and your modifications.

Smarty being easier or harder is a relative thing I suppose. Smarty will be easier to integrate your own scripts because Smarty is just a skinning class. What it comes down to is whether you'd be more comfortable starting from the ground up or modifying an already rather large pile of code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1