3 Replies - 1138 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

USB drive data recovery

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

My USB flash drive seems to be broken. After connecting it to a PC, Windows detects that something is connected but can't recognize the drive. Windows disk management tool shows "No Media" and I can't access the drive. I've tried using Recuva and TestDisk but both can't detect drive as well. I've tried connecting to 2 computers (Windows 7, 10). Does anyone know of anything I can do to retrieve the data?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: USB drive data recovery

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: USB drive data recovery

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Most likely, no. If you can't get multiple OS to see the drive you are pretty sunk. You may try accessing it with a linux virtual machine, but that's a long shot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

I am not sure about this but in case of a Linux virtual machine, won't the USB controller go through Windows anyway?

This post has been edited by Jokuk55: 31 October 2016 - 02:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

I'm just now seeing this, is this still an issue?

Often the partition table is corrupt, if you "unsafely eject" a USB drive & Windows will attempt to repair it upon the next insert.

If you can boot to Linux, check dmesg output & you can see more information about what the OS is seeing upon insert. You can try using the program TestDisk & do a byte-for byte check. It will attempt to recover linked files & make a best guess as to their data type based on header information. Without the partition table, no other data will be recovered, So you will not have file names or directory structure.

If the thumb stick itself is physically damaged, you can try to jump any broken traces, &/or as an absolute last resort you can buy an exactly same memory stick (with the same mapper!) & swap the actual storage chip. Obviously, you risk permanently damaging the data by either of these methods.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1