• +
  • -

#678 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Election blather

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Okay, so this is a useful op-ed in case you know anyone who's buying any of Trump's "pro-America" bullshit.

https://www.nytimes....foreigners.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Donna Brazile wrote an op-ed in advance of her book about her experience with the DNC:

https://www.politico...cks-2016-215774

She describes how the Clinton campaign controlled the DNC for more than a year before the election:

The agreement—signed by Amy Dacey, the former CEO of the DNC, and Robby Mook with a copy to Marc Elias—specified that in exchange for raising money and investing in the DNC, Hillary would control the party’s finances, strategy, and all the money raised. Her campaign had the right of refusal of who would be the party communications director, and it would make final decisions on all the other staff. The DNC also was required to consult with the campaign about all other staffing, budgeting, data, analytics, and mailings.

I had been wondering why it was that I couldn’t write a press release without passing it by Brooklyn. Well, here was the answer.

When the party chooses the nominee, the custom is that the candidate’s team starts to exercise more control over the party. If the party has an incumbent candidate, as was the case with Clinton in 1996 or Obama in 2012, this kind of arrangement is seamless because the party already is under the control of the president. When you have an open contest without an incumbent and competitive primaries, the party comes under the candidate’s control only after the nominee is certain. When I was manager of Al Gore’s campaign in 2000, we started inserting our people into the DNC in June. This victory fund agreement, however, had been signed in August 2015, just four months after Hillary announced her candidacy and nearly a year before she officially had the nomination.

It's followed by a sentiment that I often feel when it comes to Hillary:

The funding arrangement with HFA and the victory fund agreement was not illegal, but it sure looked unethical. If the fight had been fair, one campaign would not have control of the party before the voters had decided which one they wanted to lead. This was not a criminal act, but as I saw it, it compromised the party’s integrity.

At this point though it's just a post-mortem. But, it's not stopping Trump from accusing Hillary of money laundering and wondering where the Justice Dept is, which I find hilarious. The president is wondering where the Justice Dept is. Well, I know one way he could find out. It's about as ridiculous as the president of the US telling people to DO SOMETHING! At least Colbert's show has gotten a lot better since he was elected, the amount of material produced every day is amazing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#680 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Given stories like this and this I'd really like to see people who care this much about politics start paying a little more attention to the problem of beating back the attack from the right.
I mean, yeah, it's fun to have a turf war and all that, but don't we have a country to take back?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

I'm not sure how we would stop that attack at this point, if they get their act together they can pass whatever they want. I think the long-term fix for that is to fix the gerrymandering problem that gets them elected in the first place. But, again, since they're the ones in power and gerrymandering is a major strategy they use to do that, I'm not sure how well that's going to go either. I'd like to see the Supreme Court take up the issue and look for a metric that can be applied to determine if a district is badly drawn. Or, maybe just enforce existing laws that go completely ignore in states like PA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#682 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

Local elections came up well - my town re-elected our pro-sanctuary mayor, and Salem's voters approved a ballot measure re-affirming their sanctuary city policy. So that's a kick in the teeth for the bigots.

Also, sounds like Virginia's race for governor went well, so all in all I think Trump's week of heartburn continues.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

In a Virginia House of Delegates race, a transgender candidate beat out a 26-year incumbent that introduced a North Carolina-esque bathroom bill and referred to himself as Virginia’s “chief homophobe.” Oh, and the margin was roughly 10 points. And our newly elected delegate is the first transgender delegate to serve in Virginia. So that’s pretty cool.

Also, the GOP candidate for Lieutenant Governor in Virginia introduced and got passed a pro-LGBTQ rights bill when she was a delegate. Plus she was anti-gerrymandering. She held refreshingly odd positions for a Republican. She lost the race, but it was still refreshing to see such a candidate.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#684 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

Way to kick 'em in the dick, Virginia!

Or, if you're more of a buddhist, "by this merit may all being swiftly achieve enlightenment".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (46 Pages)
  • +
  • « First