7 Replies - 1335 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Browser Text Based RPG similar to Vampire Wars

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

I am Graphic Designer with a B.A Degree and actually completing my Masters in the same field and will graduate at the end of next year. I have been researching and working on a similar browser text based RPG similar to Mafia Wars and Vampire Wars ( from Facebook ) since 7 years now. On the graphical side nearly everything has been done, T.O.S and Privacy, Rules as well as the History also has been done as I also have a Cert Degree in Communications and I can also write Fantasy Novels. I know I saw similar questions about how to create a similar game to Mafia Wars etc .. but it was since 2009. I also came across web based games essentials posted since 2010. But now since we have smart phones and games engines available, I would like to know which one would be suitable for me to start working on a prototype of a similar game to Vampire Wars.

I researched about Game Maker and Unity, but those ones are for 3D games and i have no notion in Programing. I know those types of browser games were at the start designed in ( some ) in Dreamweaver with CSS and PHP, others on Flash. So I need some guidance here before I start to invest in a new program and start learning a new one. I also have some knowledge in Flash and Dreamweaver from my Advance Diploma classes. Forgot to tell that this game project also forms part of my Masters Degree course that am actually doing at Uni. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 November 2016 - 02:57 PM
Reason for edit:: formatting

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Browser Text Based RPG similar to Vampire Wars

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Browser Text Based RPG similar to Vampire Wars

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

Dreamweaver's crap. It's a universal constant.

I researched about Game Maker and Unity

If it's a text based game then you don't need an engine. Standard HTML, Javascript, CSS, some database, and a server side language like php, asp.net, python, ruby, etc would work fine. At best you may look at a mobile app using Xamarin.

I have been researching and working on a similar browser text based RPG similar to Mafia Wars [...]since 7 years now.

this game project also forms part of my Masters Degree course that am actually doing at Uni.

I am lost - you are getting a Masters in graphic design and you are going to make a text based game on a 7 year old concept? Seems.. unfulfilling.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blow up my boots
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

I have altered your post so that it doesn't consist of a single large, bold, paragraph.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

I am lost - you are getting a Masters in graphic design and you are going to make a text based game on a 7 year old concept? Seems.. unfulfilling.

Yes .. its like that in Australia.. we have the choice to chose whatever Project we want to work on, ( based from your under graduate degree - mine is Graphic Designs, others comes from Architecture, Communications, 3D or Paintings etc ).. and at the same time on specific units they judge u on the research readings and writing side of the researched topics .. on the other related units. So I chose to design a text based game as it deals with a lot of Graphics and Photographies. But the coding and programming side came when U have to build a prototype to show them at the end of the course for the final product designed.

View Postandrewsw, on 12 November 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

I have altered your post so that it doesn't consist of a single large, bold, paragraph.

Its all good bud.. thanks.. am new on here .. only an hour ago lol .. just trying to get use to it ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hmm. Thanks for the 411.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 November 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

Hmm. Thanks for the 411.

No worries, and thanks a lot for the help ..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

So I chose to design a text based game as it deals with a lot of Graphics and Photographies.

Interesting. I come from a time when text based games, were text based and little to no graphics. If you are doing a graphics project, why not do a game with graphics and not a text based?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

Interesting. I come from a time when text based games, were text based and little to no graphics. If you are doing a graphics project, why not do a game with graphics and not a text based?

Maybe I named the type of game wrongly .. as there isn't really a nametype of game for those games that were on Facebook since 2008. They are Multi player role playing games yes, but isn't in the MMORPGs category. MUD ? .. RPGs ? .. JRPGs ? .. but one thing for sure they are Browser games. They use "clicks" based on navigation systems.. non-linear.. and using frame sets ( top part remains same on all rooms/ pages but only the body / lower part changes as U navigate through the pages/ rooms. ) This game I am referring to uses a LOT of graphics and Illustrations. Examples : Castle Age, Vampires the Darksides, Vampire Wars, Mafia Wars, Nightfall Bloodlines etc.. those are the first generation of games of Facebook that I am referring to, but that I haven't yet until now got the real name of the type of game they are.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1