5 Replies - 458 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

make wifi router to wireless card

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hello guru boys and girls.
What is the best solution with dd-wrt firmware on tp link to make better wifi signal. I have a laptop and range of my wireless card is baaaaad. Can I make my router with big antenna to extend that?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: make wifi router to wireless card

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: make wifi router to wireless card

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:43 PM

Not really unless you have a cable running toward it and install tomcat something to extend the wifi rage.
You might want to buy an Access Point: https://www.youtube....h?v=VmV7LhAS858

You will have 2 of those modules. 1 device needs to be connected to your router.
The other one can be plugged in anywhere and extend that signal from your router.

Steps to install are:
1. plug 1st device into an outlet
2. connect the 1st to your router with a cable
3. plug in the 2nd device into an outlet
4. Pair the 2 devices

Once the 2 devices are paired the 2nd device will extend the signal. The internet connect will travel between those devices trough your power net.
I have 1 pair myself and I can really recommend you to buy one aswell. My internet plan is 50Mbp/s and I get 48Mbp/s at my attic.
Mine does go trough power net but I have connected my computer with a cable to the 2nd device.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

Actually, if you have a wireless network card with the ability to swap out the antennas, you can buy a better one.
But, if your case, I think you want to use a wireless usb adapter such as Alfa networks. Alfa networks antennas have drivers suitable for linux configurations.
https://www.amazon.c...b+adapter&psc=1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

View Postbigmatt267, on 16 December 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

Actually, if you have a wireless network card with the ability to swap out the antennas, you can buy a better one.
But, if your case, I think you want to use a wireless usb adapter such as Alfa networks. Alfa networks antennas have drivers suitable for linux configurations.

I have the exact same model but mine stopped working after 2 months. I tested it on 3 computers and I think its broke xD.
But yeah its a quick fix. But for that 10$ more I would still go for the Powerline Adapters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostRamonRobben, on 16 December 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

I have the exact same model but mine stopped working after 2 months. I tested it on 3 computers and I think its broke xD.
But yeah its a quick fix. But for that 10$ more I would still go for the Powerline Adapters.

Really? Mine still works, even the plug to the adapter is loose.
Anyhow, with power-line, you have to download the correct software to make it work in Linux, from my understanding. I may be wrong, but I also never used power-line.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Postbigmatt267, on 16 December 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

View PostRamonRobben, on 16 December 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Really? Mine still works, even the plug to the adapter is loose.
Anyhow, with power-line, you have to download the correct software to make it work in Linux, from my understanding. I may be wrong, but I also never used power-line.

Do you also have to download software for linux when plugging in internet cable?? because thats basically what you do with powerline adapters. Check out the video and you'll understand what it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1