7 Replies - 557 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Automotive management program help

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

Having been in the auto body repair business for over 30 years, I created a program in excel to track the job, a repair to a vehicle as it flows threw the shop. It works great, but I wanted to take this to the next level and make it work automatically from a downloaded estimate. So, I retrieved the "ceica code"s to make the program work, and it worked in excel. Problem is that anybody, even me, can break into excel to get the codes.
Would like to put this spreadsheet into Delphi, C++, or ?.
There are only 3/4 major players that have these programs, Mitchell international, CCC, Autotex just to name a few.
I have everything needed to create this, except for the knowledge of knowing how to program.
This is a great opportunity for a new startup.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Automotive management program help

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Automotive management program help

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

Delphi? Seems like an odd choice. I figure something more graphical. If you are going desktop I prefer C#/VB.NET.

Are you looking at making this a webpage then?

This is a great opportunity for a new startup.

So is this a "post a job"/job-for-money thing, or what exactly?

--
Okey dokey.. I'll move this to 'software development'. (from html/css)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

What codes are you worried about? From what I recall ALLDATA, MOD, napatracs and the other bigger SMS companies used AAIA data standard for the parts and vehicle catalog. This made it easier when converting data from one SMS to another.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

I know they changed names, but back when I was a Tech, ADP was the GOTO for about everyone in the area. You actually expect someone to drop the time into competing with ADP, ALLDATA and others that have teams of trainers much less IT centers?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

View Postsmendoza88, on 29 November 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

What codes are you worried about? From what I recall ALLDATA, MOD, napatracs and the other bigger SMS companies used AAIA data standard for the parts and vehicle catalog. This made it easier when converting data from one SMS to another.

I am not worried about the codes. The codes needed to do this project, they are called "CIECA" codes and I have them. This program will run off auto body estimates from Mitchell, CCC, ADP, etc. estimating platforms. It does not need any additional coding from any other outside source besides the estimate of repairs.
When someone has a damaged vehicle, they will typically go to a body shop for an estimate of repairs. Once the estimate is done, the customer will be asked if they would like there vehicle to be repaired at that body shop. If they agree to repairing it there, the office person will download the estimate into a management system. This management system is a glorified spread sheet that will give you the customers, vehicle, insurance, body shop, parts, labor tracking, etc... etc... information. All of this comes from the estimate, not from Alldata or any other program. Just the estimate it self.... From CIECA codes.
Mitchell, CCC, ADP, etc. charge upward of $250.00+ per month, per station, with yearly contracts for this management program. Because there are very few players.
I know it would be a lot of work, I have put a lot into this myself. I have paid programmers to help, that money return was one step forward, two steps back. We all are try to get by, and if we were rich, Im sure we wouldn't be on these forums looking for jobs or help. I have a lot of ideas with this project that would benefit us both.
I am not a programmer, but I can help with the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:04 AM

View Postjpaint, on 04 December 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

[...]We all are try to get by, and if we were rich, Im sure we wouldn't be on these forums looking for jobs or help. I have a lot of ideas with this project that would benefit us both.

I would reiterate my initial quandary - what's the aim for the topic? Sure it sounds like a nifty project, but are you looking to hire someone, looking for someone to work for free, looking to find someone who will work for 'sweat equity', or just announcing a project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 29 November 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

I know they changed names, but back when I was a Tech, ADP was the GOTO for about everyone in the area. You actually expect someone to drop the time into competing with ADP, ALLDATA and others that have teams of trainers much less IT centers?

Please see my other reply...
If you were a previous "tech" mechanical, yes you are correct. A lot of shops use Alldata, I heard Mitchell International is into the market too. This is for the "auto body industry" not the "mechanic" side.
But that would be one of my future plans of getting into all automotive industry's, even glass shops.

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 December 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

View Postjpaint, on 04 December 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

[...]We all are try to get by, and if we were rich, Im sure we wouldn't be on these forums looking for jobs or help. I have a lot of ideas with this project that would benefit us both.

I would reiterate my initial quandary - what's the aim for the topic? Sure it sounds like a nifty project, but are you looking to hire someone, looking for someone to work for free, looking to find someone who will work for 'sweat equity', or just announcing a project?

Looking for someone to put in "sweat equity".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Super. Let me move the topic to 'post a job'.

You may want to consider fleshing out out languages to be used, platforms (desktop, web, mobile, os specific, etc), time frames, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1